Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where does all this junk go? Bumper/Rack/Inside??

Re: Where does all this junk go? Bumper/Rack/Inside??

Nice rack!

( . Y . )
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter25
    Which model of Baja Rack is that. Their site only shows the Mule to fit the 4runner, but that looks alot longer. It looks awesome
    I'm not sure what model they call this, its basically the fj model. I don't think it is on their website, but its 82ish" long.
    God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

Ah! Thats the FJ one? Good choice. Looks great! Love bajaracks.
    I am in a similar position. Sure my old tacoma was a great chase vehicle, but even it was really too small for many things. When chasing/pitting with my 4runner I take a trailer. To be any sort of good pit you need gas, air tools, at least 2 tires etc which I could barely fit in the old tacoma so with the 4runner its a small box trailer being towed behind.

Back on track; I was wondering what to do with the gas at least. (extra gas for me not race gas. I can't find anyplace to put dump cans on a little 4runner.
    I was looking to build a rear bumper with a hold for three gas cans. Scepters. That way its not a ton of weight on the rear bumper since that always seems to work out badly. The spare still goes underneath with some trimming. The scepters just get filled when needed so the weight is not always there.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by SOAZ
    Your right it is the FJ one. In the future they are talking about a narrower version that would fit the 4runner a little better. Stay tuned, these guys are great to work with.

I am in a similar position. Sure my old tacoma was a great chase vehicle, but even it was really too small for many things. When chasing/pitting with my 4runner I take a trailer. To be any sort of good pit you need gas, air tools, at least 2 tires etc which I could barely fit in the old tacoma so with the 4runner its a small box trailer being towed behind.
    You right, a real chase truck needs much much more room than what a 4runner has. A small trailer or a fullsize diesel is what is needed to service as a true pit. I've thought about doing the trailer thing too. One of those adventure trailers would be the hot ticket, then you would have a sweet place to sleep too.

Back on track; I was wondering what to do with the gas at least. (extra gas for me not race gas. I can't find anyplace to put dump cans on a little 4runner.
    I was looking to build a rear bumper with a hold for three gas cans. Scepters. That way its not a ton of weight on the rear bumper since that always seems to work out badly. The spare still goes underneath with some trimming. The scepters just get filled when needed so the weight is not always there. ?
    During the baja 1000 in 2007(the one that went all the way to Cabo) I had a Quickfill jug (11gal) of fuel with me in the back of the runner inside. With the rear hatch window cracked it let the fuems out, but dust in. Window in no dust but lots of fumes. It stunk (pun) and needless to say there was some spillage.

I've been talking to Steve at CBI in doing a light-weight but reinforced bumper that could hold a 11gal Quickfill jug for pit to pit transpertaion. Then for prerunning you could just have a 3.5Gal quickfill jug in the same location. Prerunning with a bunch of weight back there is just asking for trouble, but you could get away with the weight if your just transporting some out to a pit. I like the idea of a Quickfill holder since that is what most teams use for fuel dumps (when not using a tower). What size tires are you running on your 4Runner that allows you to mount the spare in factory location? I've tried everything to get my small 33 underthere w/o any luck.

God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

Very nice rack. Any way you could get some close-ups of the hardware that attaches to the factory rails? How's the noise?
    1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain
    Your right it is the FJ one. In the future they are talking about a narrower version that would fit the 4runner a little better. Stay tuned, these guys are great to work with.

You right, a real chase truck needs much much more room than what a 4runner has. A small trailer or a fullsize diesel is what is needed to service as a true pit. I've thought about doing the trailer thing too. One of those adventure trailers would be the hot ticket, then you would have a sweet place to sleep too.

I was looking to build a rear bumper with a hold for three gas cans. Scepters. That way its not a ton of weight on the rear bumper since that always seems to work out badly. The spare still goes underneath with some trimming. The scepters just get filled when needed so the weight is not always there. ?
    During the baja 1000 in 2007(the one that went all the way to Cabo) I had a Quickfill jug (11gal) of fuel with me in the back of the runner inside. With the rear hatch window cracked it let the fuems out, but dust in. Window in no dust but lots of fumes. It stunk (pun) and needless to say there was some spillage.

I've been talking to Steve at CBI in doing a light-weight but reinforced bumper that could hold a 11gal Quickfill jug for pit to pit transpertaion. Then for prerunning you could just have a 3.5Gal quickfill jug in the same location. Prerunning with a bunch of weight back there is just asking for trouble, but you could get away with the weight if your just transporting some out to a pit. I like the idea of a Quickfill holder since that is what most teams use for fuel dumps (when not using a tower). What size tires are you running on your 4Runner that allows you to mount the spare in factory location? I've tried everything to get my small 33 underthere w/o any luck.

Its a bit of a work in progress. I'm building the rear bumper to "fit" my 33 by 10 in tires. We'll see. I think I can fix it so it works. I just hope that the bumper won't stick out too far.
    It seems to fit between the frame rails. I just need to get it to stop rubbing on the trac bar so for now it sits inside.

On the other stuff: A custom "pit" trailer would be cool. Not that any high speeds are safe with a trailer for prerunning, but for during race pitting it would be cool. I just used a box trailer for the 07 1000. It worked well. We had to carry a 55 gallon drum of fuel for a friends team and one dump can for us. The 39 inch Projects are so damn big and heavy they would have taken up most of the bed of my tacoma so the trailer worked out well for us to keep all of that crap in. I'm more versed in 1600 racing. I could fit half of our car in parts in the bed of my Tacoma. I ran this pit at that 1000 for T-Force Trophy Truck so everything was super sized. I was wishing for a full size for that week.

Let me know if you have any concerns with that baja rack. I might end up getting one of them. I like how the fj one seems to be full length.

I too have a 3rd gen and have done some lengthy expedition type trips and the packing has always been a problem. I am running 285 which basically are 33's and i have never been able to fit it underneath where the factory spare went. I have seen it done but for some reason my truck wont take it. I think it has something to do with the year your truck was built. The early 3rd gens (mine is a 96) might be shorter from the rear axle back. Anyway back on topic. I finally gave and and had a rear bumper with swing out tire carrier built for me. Getting that spare out of the cab or down from the top has been great. Definitely freed up a lot of room for other gear. The other thing i have done a few times is removed the bottom part of the rear seats. A few quick bolts and you free up space behind your front seats even with the rear seats folded down. Anyway im very pleased with the rear bumper, something that might be worth it for you to look into.
    96 Runner, 3.4L V6 with K&amp;N Air Intake<br />3 inch adjustable Sway-a-way Racerunner-Front<br />3 inch Old Man Emu-Rear<br />285/75/R16 BFG Mud Terrians<br />Factory Electric Rear Locker<br />ARB Front Bumper with PIAA Lights<br />Custom Rock Sliders

Quote Originally Posted by Bajabwk
    .....Anyway back on topic. I finally gave and and had a rear bumper with swing out tire carrier built for me. Getting that spare out of the cab or down from the top has been great. Definitely freed up a lot of room for other gear. The other thing i have done a few times is removed the bottom part of the rear seats. A few quick bolts and you free up space behind your front seats even with the rear seats folded down. Anyway im very pleased with the rear bumper, something that might be worth it for you to look into.
    I'm building a rear bumper right now with Steve from C.B.I. Fabrication. Check out the build here http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...c=8211.new#new

Chaplain, just got on this board today. your pics of the rack are great, I work w/ BajaRack and sure that Sergio would love to see those pictures. If you'd like you can forward them to crcornette@bajarack.com Thanks for your purchase. Cris
    crcornette@bajarack.com<br />2007 FJ w/ the good stuff

I’m headed off to chase the SCORE Baja 1000 and have the same old problem. WHERE DOES ALL THIS STUFF GO? For those of you on here that use your 4runners to go exploring you’ll understand the problem of organizing and securing all the ‘just-in-case’ things you need on a big trip like running down the Baja peninsula. Securing items becomes even more important when your offroading at speed because there is nothing worse than having things flying throughout the cab when your bombing down a whooped out road. Finding a pit box that handle this has been a hard find.

Gear I always carry:

SAFTY: backboard, neck brace, Hostyle trauma kit & first-aid
    RECOVERY: jack, ARB tree-saver and tow strap, tire plug kit, road flares, lug wrench/breaker-bar and of course a large spare.
    SPARE PARTS: axle, air filter, specific nuts/bolts, u-joints ect.
    FLUIDS: water, Lucas Oil ATF, motor-oil, gear-oil, lubricant spray, brake-cleaner, radiator stop-leak, shock oil, and fixa flat
    OTHER: hand-tools, BFH, duc-tape and bailing twine (just cuz).
    CREATURE COMFORT: jacket, blanket, cooler, tent, sleeping bags and trip luggage.

After searching the internet I finally found a box http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-127-0...ty-drawer.aspx that fits the FUNrunner and allows me to store all the essentials needed for long excursions. I’ve had Tuffy Security products www.tuffyproducts.com before in my ol’ rockcrawler and know they are build to take offroad abuse. The beauty of this Tuffy drawer box is it allows me to get to tools/recovery-gear fast without having to unpack all the creature comfort things such as luggage.

The BFGoodrich spare, aluminum jack, and breaker-bar all find a home on the CBI Fabrication bumper www.cbioffroadfab.com. Soft luggage such as a tent and sleeping bags go up top with the backboard on the Baja Rack roofrack www.bajarack.com.

Tuffy Security, CBI Fabrication and Baja Rack produce high quality products that can really take the punishment of Baja while making our Runners more usable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast