Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since we're on the subject of lawn mowers...

Since we're on the subject of lawn mowers...

So I just bought a house and need a lawn mower. I don't know anything about lawn mowers because when I was a kid I mowed our fields with a big john deere tractor. I do know that small engines can be a pain to keep running over the years.

The front yard is only about 25ft by 15ft and the future back yard will probably be about the same. How are electric mowers? For this size lawn can I get by with an electric or do I have to go to gas?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Since we're on the subject of lawn mowers...

Heck, one that small you could do with a weedwacker.

:P

The electric mowers are pretty quiet and do a good job as long as you don't let the lawn get too out of control. Once the grass gets long (or very wet) they SUCK....gas is way better. I'd probably just get a super cheap side discharge mower which are available everywhere, very light to push around and have no cord. If you want to go a little more green, then go the electric route, but you'll be constantly tethered. don't even bother looking at the battery powered ones, the technology just isn't there yet to make something worth buying.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Another friend has an electric for a lawn that is smaller than yours. It was discounted by the local air board since they want to avoid small gas engine exhaust. He really likes it: quiet, no hassle of having gas around and easy to start.

Getting to the edge of your lawn looks to be a fairly long distance. I'd see how long a cord that would be.

You should get a goat, then you can make goat cheese too. Bahhhhh...
    84 Xcab: 38&quot;TSL/D44/4.56/ARB/350/4L60E/2.28/2.28/ARB/4.56/D60 (gone, sigh)<br />01 WJ 32s solids F&amp;R

we just bought a craftsman lawn mower. its gas and has an electric start, wonderful mower and no more pulling on that stupid cord!!!

as for electrics, they are leagues better than the old ones that appeared in the 90's. get a name brand (something you recognize) at a major retailer. that way you can always find parts and accessories for it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I wasn't even considering battery ones. The electrics sound promising though.

Miki wants a goat. She wants to make goat cheese. I don't think the Nazi HOA will allow it though.
    Steve

The goat will need to eat more than your lawn can provide. Let the goat trims the neighbors lawns and they won't care.
    84 Xcab: 38&quot;TSL/D44/4.56/ARB/350/4L60E/2.28/2.28/ARB/4.56/D60 (gone, sigh)<br />01 WJ 32s solids F&amp;R

Tourist

'96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

get one of the old fashion push mowers. great exercise.
    92 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4<br />Skyjacker Nitro shocks, Pro-Comp steering stabilizer, clear bumper lenses, lund windjammer, OME standard coils, ISR mod, inlet pipe removed, Bushwaker Fender Flares.<br /><br />2002 Tacoma Prerunner V6 extracab. Lund Intercepter bug guard, rear glass sunshield, Bilstein shocks on rear.<br /><br />2004 Honda CRV EX stock belongs to wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H.
    get one of the old fashion push mowers. great exercise.
    My old room mate had one of those. No way, too much work.
    Steve

Tourist

If you use a camelback it's not work, it's exercise. Unless it includes padded shorts and jersey. Then it's just plain fun. :P
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast