Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the word Jap censored out of my posts.

Why is the word Jap censored out of my posts.

Exactly as the title says. I was talking about Japanese mototcycles on a thread and the word j a p was censored out, like this... jap

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...47797#msg47797

Dont we all drive jap made vehicles after all. I know its just the automatic censor but I just thought it was funny.

See!!! Its even censored out of the title!
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Re: Why is the word ******* censored out of my posts.

I think you can turn your censor off in your profile preferences, and then only those with theirs on will see ****. The censor has no way of knowing if you are making a racial slur or not.
    My signature

Re: Why is the word Jap censored out of my posts.

I see, thanks. So its just individual settings. Just changed my settings and now I can see it no problem.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Re: Why is the word ******* censored out of my posts.

i for one believe the following words should also be censored out

Ford
    Chevy
    Dodge
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerUp
    i for one believe the following words should also be censored out

Ford
    Chevy
    Dodge
    Haha yes, dont forget our arch nemeses, the evil J**P.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankota

Dont we all drive jap made vehicles after all. I know its just the automatic censor but I just thought it was funny.
    yeah, ethnic-slurs are a real hoot

Quote Originally Posted by calrockx
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankota

yeah, ethnic-slurs are a real hoot
    Hold on now. I wasnt making an ethnic-slur there, to me that is just short for Japanese. When I was trying to figure out what was going on, I had no idea why "jap" was censored out. It didn't even occur to me that someone could use that as a slur until slosurfer brought it up in the second post.

What I thought was funny was that, in my mind the automatic censor had just picked some random word to censor out and that somehow it was a mistake. Thats why I posted it in the UY related section as a problem.

Calrockx quoted the sentence where I said "Dont we all drive jap made vehicles after all".
    Would it be more politically correct for you if I sail "Dont we all drive Japanese made vehicles after all".

I like Japaneses cars and motorcycles, I often refer to Japaneses motorcycles as "jap bikes". Does anyone consider that to be an offensive ethnic or racial slur?

i know what you were saying, i was just pointing out that's probably the reason it was censored it out.
    i'm surprised you didn't know that, isn't it common knowledge? maybe not.

I still don't see how that is offensive or demeaning, unless someone is using it in a specific or pointed way. But then anything can be offensive if you use it like in a certain way. I come into contact with a lot of dirty, vulgar, racist, redneck truck drivers and they can (and will) make just about anything a nasty slur.

Is saying "Britt" rather that "British" I slur too? Because I really like "Britt bikes" as well.

"J a p" is an ethnic slur - regardless of the usage. Ask someone who Asian how they feel about - most find it offensive. Just because in your mind it's short for Japanese doesn't mean everyone adopts your abbreviation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

No, "Brit" isn't a slur anymore, but it used to be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alterna...ds_for_British

2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast