Thread: 2.7L Question: Time for new timing chain?

2.7L Question: Time for new timing chain?

Hey guys,

How do I tell when its time for a timing chain replacement on my 2.7L?

I'm getting this odd ticking noise coming from the engine bay but am having a hard time distinguishing where its coming from. It seems to be louder on the bottom, passenger side of the engine. I recently changed out the valve cover and the chain and guides (that I could see) appeared in good shape. Its the loudest when the truck is in gear (D or R with the parking brake on). Its a kind of tick, tick, tick, tick....then silence...then tick, tick, tick, tick again.

I know these engines have 2 sets of chains so I'm wondering if this could be a potential culprit. The engine pulls strong still from what I can tell with no major difference in performance. I'm wondering if it could be perhaps an exhaust leak of some sort...but again don't know what to listen/look for?

Any insight on what to look for would be appreciated very much! I really hope its not one of the chains because that could be a costly repair. I might as well throw a new engine in it! I'm going to let it cool down and see if I can hear a difference when the engine is cold.

~Kyle<br /><br />2004 Xcab Tacoma 4x4, diff locker, mostly stock for now...

Re: 2.7L Question: Time for new timing chain?

UPDATE:

The noise seems to only develop when the engine warms up...

This leads me to think that it may not be the chain but something again possibly exhaust related....

Don't have any suggestions, but from all the research I did before I sold mine it appears the chain on the 3rz are pretty much good for the life of the engine, wouldn't think that was your issue.
    Brian

Yeah...that was my thought too.

Just to update this thread...I posted this on ttora as well and I got a lot of responses saying check the manifold. I replaced it two years ago with one of those factory cheap ones from ebay...perhaps its time to go with an actual toyota spec one or LC...although I've heard bad things about where it connects to the collector.

Anyone have any idea what year they changed the design of these manifolds on this engine? I'm thinking it was '01...?

My brother is looking for a header replacement for the abused mani on his 2.7 in his tacoma. Any BTDT experience with header on the 3RZFE?
    09 FJ 6spd manual<br />01 Tonka-oma TRD <br />Audi RS2 CQ clone<br />98 Audi A4 turbo quattro avant

Nah man, I've heard mixed reviews on the headers. It seems a lot of people are having trouble with them cracking at the welds. Apparently the gains aren't enough to be worth the trouble. Go with just an OEM one and forget it...

Any one had any experience with a worn chain?

Sorry for the jack and thanks for the reply. I don't know about the chains, but my brother is in the middle of rebuilding his (the kid who previously owned it hydrolocked it). If he comes into any info i'll pass it along.
    09 FJ 6spd manual<br />01 Tonka-oma TRD <br />Audi RS2 CQ clone<br />98 Audi A4 turbo quattro avant

I have a friend with a 2.7 Taco. He has no problems with his LC header and exhaust. When I saw the header, I was impressed with how well it was built.