Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeler: 2001 4runner with mods, lifted, locked, and what not, trade LC/Lexus lx

Feeler: 2001 4runner with mods, lifted, locked, and what not, trade LC/Lexus lx

For those of you who dont know the truck

2001 2wd converted to 4wd using inchworms tube adapter and prerunner adapter custom fitted for speed sensor using inchworms lefty case with 5:1 gearing.

has arb airlockers front and rear, has decent setup with storage in back, will be better built once truck gets back to south carolina.

35s with 4.56 gearing, somewhat hauls ass in lower elevation, not so much in colorado. its in iowa right now so no new pictures, im in virginia right now and i want to trade for a built or stock 100 series cruiser, maybe lexus, looking for a good DD not as modified and better built for longer travel with more space.

issues that will be fixed before truck is handed over if i decide too
    new steering rack
    new axle seals and bearings
    fix frame for rear bumper and drop it down a half inch.

the plans were this

not explaining what i was going to do, just a picture of what it would have looked like

regardless i have 5 days to cancel my order for diamond housings for high 9 front, low 9 rear.

being around bentleys and rolls royces here in virginia for the past couple of days has been making me think about some other things. and yes ill probably make a report thread about this event.

it does now have rear bumper, the entire site knows what it looks like by now, im sure from the thread. if you dont.. ill put pictures up later.

not much else i can think of.

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Re: Feeler: 2001 4runner with mods, lifted, locked, and what not, trade LC/Lexus lx

Uh....Dude........

If you are serious about getting rid of the truck, I'd cancel those axles ASAP. You MAY get this thing gone in 5 days, but I doubt it.

Otherwise, I'd go have a long chat with Christo about what it takes to hang 9's under a 100 series. He is about the only shop around I'd trust with a project like that.

The first was the blue berry, we could call yours the dingle berry
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Re: Feeler: 2001 4runner with mods, lifted, locked, and what not, trade LC/Lexus lx

I don't see where Blake says he is thinking about SACing a 100-series. But since you brought it up here is Christo's write-up: http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...00-series.html
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo no no no no

lol

no way in hell id be dumb enough to trade in a 4runner just to get a LC100 and then drop the IFS

whole point is a slightly modded 100 for DD status and able to handle trips like my canyonlands trip.

thats it.

just canceled the axles anyways.

not sure on price yet, located in anderson sc or atlanta GA depending on when this thing goes, (going to art institute of atlanta next year) and id rather trade within week or two or if i sell, id like to find a 100 that id buy first before selling technically. so not much downtime though i do have the m3 and 535i bmws i can drive.

Why are you selling the 4runner? Seems like an incredible amount of wasted time and money over the last couple months only to sell it because you changed your mind, again.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    Why are you selling the 4runner? Seems like an incredible amount of wasted time and money over the last couple months only to sell it because you changed your mind, again.
    i have my reason, go tell everyone else that who has posted up a built up 4runner too, or else i wouldnt be a little defensive right now thinking that im getting attacked quite a bit more then others.

First off, you're not being attacked.

Blake, I'm simply stating what most people here have seen and from my perspective, it does seem like wasted time and money. Most people I know who build trucks and sell them take them out quite a bit and sell them down the road a ways.

And you do change your mind quite a bit, then act on it. I don't know whether you consider all options or the long term effects of these decisions, but you don't give off the impression that you do think long and hard about these things. We could go back to all the different ideas you had about your truck, and how many of those ideas you made into a reality, only to change your mind again and go down another path. I won't discuss college with you, but I think you can see the similarities.

Do what you want, it's not me making the decision, I'm just giving you my opinion on it. It's usually good to hear opinions, good or bad, they usually will tell you what the best option is. If all you want to hear is praise and get pats on the back, you're going to have a tough time as life goes on.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

i understand their are bad opinions and good ones, but to be honest, every single one i have encountered has been worded with a mal intent in a way.

and school? i really dont want to get into that subject, i know im making the right decision and no one can ever tell me other wise.

I want the LC100, i drove one, it does feel different, but i really need more space for what Im doing. thats it. I wanted to SAS, but i saw that as a huge money issue down the road and further depleating funds. and ive been back and forth on it, but i had the right idea and plans of what to do with that and that is called research.

Give me some ideas, ill take em, but id like it worded with the intention of help and not the intention of an attack as i felt that was

Blake, I'm not intending to say you're making a bad decision, with school or the truck. However, what I am pointing out to you is that you have had a tendency to change your mind quite often and start heading down a different path. I don't know, nor do I care, where you are getting the funds for this, but keep in mind they won't be there forever and you don't want to be up shit creek without a paddle.

I know what research is, 3/4 of my job is researching every aspect of HVAC systems. I also know you do plenty of research with the project you are interested in at the present moment, but I'm talking about looking ahead at things such as, maintenance, future costs, space, mileage, and if you will ever use it to the full potential.

Perhaps some forward thinking would have helped you with the truck and school so that you would not be in this situation with both.

I'm not going to blow sun-shine up your ass, Blake. I see potential in the projects you work on, but I also see someone who goes after the bigger and better constantly rather then enjoys what he has and is thankful for it. Jumping colleges all the time, constantly changing what you want to do on the truck, and now you're selling it, all these things are not cheap, but most of these things could have been avoided had you listened to a few replies from some of your threads you created. We don't all have to learn by touching the stove.

Aside from all of this, it doesn't really matter because it's not my money, and it's not my time. I'm only telling you this in hopes that you will take some portion of this to heart and don't create a thread in 3 months about how you are broke, don't like the school you're at, or you missed your 'runner because of this or that and you want to build another one.

Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way.

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way.
    Perhaps not.

Blake, good luck selling the 4Runner. Also, as an owner of both a UZJ100 and a 3rd Gen 4Runner, I can see your affection for the UZJ. However, I can also tell you that wheeling that thing as a Rock Crawler will be neaxt to impossible on most trails due to the weight and sheer size. If you want something to wheel and you still want luxury, then drive one of the BMW's that you claim to have access to and get an old solid axle somethingorother to drive on the trails. That's the ONLY way you'll have your cake and eat it too.

IIRC, maybe a year or so ago I was telling you to sell the 2WD, buy a 4WD with the money, and then build it up. it would not only have been easier to do, but that you'd be much better off because you'll eventually want to sell whatever you have, and selling a converted 4WD with aftermarket parts, CEL's, no ABS, etc, will be incredibly hard to do without giving it away for less than half what you have in it.

I'm simply not going to tell you what you want to hear, whether you like it or not. You ask for advice, then you tell people you don't want the negative side of the viewpoints, only the positives supporting your position. That's not asking for advice, that's wanting someone to kiss your ass and tell you what a "god" you are. I'm not going to be "that" person. However, I am going to tell you that I know FROM EXPERIENCE, you are going to loose your ass selling a built 4Runner, especially in today's gas market. Not only that, but a converted one with specialty parts on top of that. I sold my factory 4WD for right at retail KBB value, and it had a documented $12k in mods currently on/in the truck as well as a new timing belt, water pump, drive belts, cam seals, crank seal, 35" tires, brake rotors, calipers, pads, rear shoes, and lower sonoran steel suspension links. all of that was NEW when it was sold, on top of everything else that was less than 2 years old like the front and rear bumpers, lockers, gears, budbuilt skids, etc, etc, etc...

You would be smart to keep it and live with your decisions if you can afford to keep it. If you can't afford to keep it, then you need a UZJ100 like you need a hole in your head (or gas tank). If you simply have to have more space and a better ride, then do what you have to I can tell you this - the UZJ is larger, but that size comes with a cost. 16 MPG on the highway and 13 around town for one that's completely stock. if you could come up with a water tight cargo box that uses a hitch receiver then you'd have the same cargo capacity in the vehicle that you have so much money invested into, a smaller more wheelable size, dual lockers, and something you know.

Again, good luck with your endeavors.
    -andy

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast