Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MIG, ARC or TIG?

Re: MIG, ARC or TIG?

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    My question is: which would be the most practical to have in my garage for fabbing bumpers and building up my trailer? My concern with the MIG is whether or not the welds are strong enough for 1/4 plate. It seems like the instructors and textbooks cut it off at 5/16ths, but it seems like I see it being used all the time for builds. Thoughts?
    Well what you do is bevel the edges so you get better penetration in thick material. Then make multiple passes if you really need to. But, multiple passes won't make up for 110V lack of penetration.

I'd go with 220 mig for an all around welder.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Andy, when you say "flux welding" are you talking about gas/torch welding or flux cored MIG?
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

flux core, wire feed machine.

i have a Hobart 125 (110V) that i built my bumper with. i got it *lightly* used off of eBay for right at $300 shipped. i'll eventually add a MIG kit and go gas. with flux wire, i burned 3/16" butt and fillet no problems. you can't do *quite* as thick w/ MIG because the gas tends to cool the arc a little and you don't get as good of penetration.

TIG is fun, especially when you get to use a $8K Miller to play with on 316L stainless - for free! the cool thing is that we also have mini-TIG's that are 110V with tiny bottles that i can take home as well. i haven't done it yet, but i also haven't had the time to work on anything, either.
    -andy

I have been looking at getting a Lincoln SP-175 (because I thought I needed the power of 220V), but I didn't think about the gas having a cooling effect on the arc (makes perfect sense though!). It would be nicer (and alot less expensive) to just get a 110V Lincoln 140 MIG or a Lincoln Pak 10 and then just use it with flux cored wire. I'm not likely to be working with anything more than 3/16" anyway, most of the tasks would just be house related projects or fixes on items.

I did hear that flux core wire "spits" alot more than if you're using gas. Is that true?
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Real welders start by learning how to use a torch, then to stick, then to MIG, etc.

This is also how I started. I would have to say that if you can learn ARC before MIG that you will be much better at MIG at least this is how it normally works. Most welding classes will teach you ARC, MIG, GAS, and then TIG I really don't know that it matters. The only thing that makes you a better welder is how much time you spend welding and it probably helps to have a little natural tallent as well.

Oh yeah and Flux core has more spatter but isn't really any weaker just not as clean looking.

So I suppose as long as you had a grinder handy that wouldn't be an issue to clean the buggers off after you're done.

Jamie

If you are looking at getting a welder get the biggest one you can afford, as you've probably heard before. I just bought a MM 251 wire (MIG and flux) and I'll never have to buy another welder. I have a smaller 135 too for small intricate stuff but for welding on the truck...go big.

the only thing w/ that is that I disagree somewhat for the general "hobby" welder.

i *could* afford a 251 if i wanted one, but for what i use it for and how often i use it wouldn't justify it, where with Brian, he almost *needs* a 251.

the difference? i can get by w/ flux and then follow up w/ my angle grinder using a HIGH-RPM backing plate and 80-grit sanding disc paper. i built my bumper w/ my 110 machine and it worked fine. it was slower than if i had a $1000 100% duty cycle machine since i had to take breaks to let the machine rest, but i also wasn't going to be building more than one bumper.

a 125 to 140 machine will be good for 99% of the people on this board. if you need bigger, and can justify the expense, then by all means go 220V and at least 200 amps. however, for the occasional build and all-around hobby welding, it's hard to beat a 110 machine for the ease of use, versatility, and the power that you get w/o having to run a dedicated 220V circuit to your garage.
    -andy

Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    power that you get w/o having to run a dedicated 220V circuit to your garage.
    But you know that you need the 220v line for the air compressor anyway...
    84 Xcab: 38&quot;TSL/D44/4.56/ARB/350/4L60E/2.28/2.28/ARB/4.56/D60 (gone, sigh)<br />01 WJ 32s solids F&amp;R

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast