Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MIG, ARC or TIG?

Re: MIG, ARC or TIG?

lol... true! unless you're like me and aren't going to be in the house more than a couple years and didn't waste the time to run a 220V line for a new compressor and welder. i just stuck w/ 110 stuff for now. eventually, when i have my own detached shop for my toys, then i'll have 220V and probably will upgrade (because i will *need* to? no, just because by then, i can w/o worrying about the cost ).
    -andy

Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    the only thing w/ that is that I disagree somewhat for the general "hobby" welder.

i *could* afford a 251 if i wanted one, but for what i use it for and how often i use it wouldn't justify it, where with Brian, he almost *needs* a 251.

the difference? i can get by w/ flux and then follow up w/ my angle grinder using a HIGH-RPM backing plate and 80-grit sanding disc paper. i built my bumper w/ my 110 machine and it worked fine. it was slower than if i had a $1000 100% duty cycle machine since i had to take breaks to let the machine rest, but i also wasn't going to be building more than one bumper.

a 125 to 140 machine will be good for 99% of the people on this board. if you need bigger, and can justify the expense, then by all means go 220V and at least 200 amps. however, for the occasional build and all-around hobby welding, it's hard to beat a 110 machine for the ease of use, versatility, and the power that you get w/o having to run a dedicated 220V circuit to your garage.
    I am in the exact same boat....I could afford one no problem, but how much power do I really need to get stuff done (I'm not going to be building offroad bumpers with this). Plus if I get a 220V then it pretty well guarantees it's not portable (physically yes, but few people have 220V at their house so if I want to bring my welder over to my father-in-law's house to fix something, I can't......he's got to bring it to my house or he's SOL). It would be nice to maybe have something I could use with a small gas generator to make a truely portable setup.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

that was my idea as well - portability - and it has paid off. not only that, but you can also take it w/ you on wheeling trip if you're staying at a campground so you can make some repairs if you absolutely had to using the campsite feed.
    -andy

220 doesn't have to be that big, some of the are easily portable. My brother has one that's about 10 inch wide, 20 inch long and 16 inch tall and it even has a carrying handle.

Is 220 scarce in your part of the country? Every house here has 220 for the dryer and that's what I've always used.

Ideally, you shouldn't have to grind off weld. Keeping those nice stacked dimes is stronger than if you grind them off. Of course, that takes a little bit of practice. But yeah, you need to chip away the slag with flux core.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

If you use flux you WILL need a grinder.

After learning to use a torch, everything else is pretty dang easy imo.

I have a lincoln sp-175. Putting 220 in the garage wasn't a big deal. Flux spatter got old quicker than I thought and gas is worth every penny.

Can't decide between a plasma cutter or TIG now... Can't justify either so it really makes the decision hard.
    1 3 5<br />|-|-|<br />2 4 R<br /><br />http://sr5-4runner.com

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    It would be nice to maybe have something I could use with a small gas generator to make a truely portable setup.
    I think you'll need a larger generator than you think. 110V*20A = 2200W, 2200W*3(3 is the multiplier that I recall for startup surge)= 6600W. 6600W isn't a big generator but is isn't dinky either. In the past I was involved in the rental of generator to run a Miller 210. While it had much higher wattage than we needed the rental ended up being 35kW diesel generator. It was a darn cool generator though.
    84 Xcab: 38&quot;TSL/D44/4.56/ARB/350/4L60E/2.28/2.28/ARB/4.56/D60 (gone, sigh)<br />01 WJ 32s solids F&amp;R

we have a cool little machine at work. it's a miller generator/welder. bad little (actually big) buzzbox.
    -andy

My parents actually just upgraded the backup generator (they stepped up to a 30KW hardwired diesel setup!!!) at their house so it looks like I've got a 13HP 8500W Honda generator coming my way the next time I go down. That should be enough to run a decent welder and I know it has 220V on it, but I'm not sure how big the breaker is on that. I might go for a Lincoln SP-175 if that generator has enough juice to power it. I have compact fluorescent bulbs everywhere in my house and I heard that using a welder will destroy those in short order so I'm looking for a setup I can run just off the generator alone if possible.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
    Jamie

If you are looking at getting a welder get the biggest one you can afford, as you've probably heard before. I just bought a MM 251 wire (MIG and flux) and I'll never have to buy another welder. I have a smaller 135 too for small intricate stuff but for welding on the truck...go big.

With that in mind and before I get in over my head. I'm also looking for a welder to learn on. Budget is gonna be around the $600 (give or take $100) mark and I can run it on 220. Is there any model mig welder that you would suggest to learn on in this price range(used or new) that would be capable to penetrate well enough to do a sas?
    Philip<br />-90 2Dr 4runner<br />www.cootees.net

https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...wsecatalogs.pl
    Check this place out just to get an idea. Honestly for that price you are not gonna get a machine for too thick of metal, or with a very high duty cycle. Did you decide what you want, MIG or Stick? (Sorry I dont use the word Arc since mig, stick, flux and tig are all arc welding LOL)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast