Thread: 6 minute engine rebuild . . .

6 minute engine rebuild . . .

Well, sort of. This is my time lapse video pulling, rebuilding, & reinstalling an is250 engine. This one got new pistons & rings along with a thorough cleaning of the cylinder heads. It took a total of approximately 15 hours from the time I pulled it in till I fired off the engine . . .
    is250 engine time lapse
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: 6 minute engine rebuild . . .

That's pretty crazy!

so what did that end up costing in parts and labor? or was this a warranty claim?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

That is awesome! How long does it take just to drop the engine/trans out?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    That's pretty crazy!

so what did that end up costing in parts and labor? or was this a warranty claim?
    It was warranty, but IIRC the total is around $4-5k give or take a bit. Just the rings cost $300ish. BTW, Lexus has extended the is250 warranty to cover this repair for 9yrs/unlimited miles - it's for a carbon build-up misfire on the 250's only, the 350's use a direct/port injection system that doesn't have this problem

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    That is awesome! How long does it take just to drop the engine/trans out?
    I had the one which I started this morning sitting on a bench in just under 1 hour.

Thats awesome Keith!
    At least you guys are keeping busy!
    And that shop is CLEAN!

Whats the hardest part of getting those out?

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    At least you guys are keeping busy!
    Whats the hardest part of getting those out?
    Besides these engines, we've been pretty dead lately - been watching plenty of rally videos on Youtube.

Yanking the engine is actually fairly easy - no external trans cooler lines and the engine/trans harness stays on w/ only a few connections to the body.

Quote Originally Posted by corax

It was warranty, but IIRC the total is around $4-5k give or take a bit. Just the rings cost $300ish. BTW, Lexus has extended the is250 warranty to cover this repair for 9yrs/unlimited miles - it's for a carbon build-up misfire on the 250's only, the 350's use a direct/port injection system that doesn't have this problem
    Cool video! I have been following this problem closely. As you know, the IS350 is unique because it has both direct injection and port injection (called D4S)--the fact that it still has port injection means the valves are cleaned by fuel passing over them, unlike a direct injection engine. The IS250 is direct injection only and nearly all of the direct injection-only cars out there are having massive carbon build up problems. It seems like Audis and BMWs have the worst problems though.

I couldn't afford an IS350 so I made sure we bought a car that DIDN'T have direct injection. Ended up with a new TSX, it still has port injection.

I need to send this video to my sister and her husband. They just bought an IS350. He had an IS300 prior and didn't want a 250.