Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child Seat Question

Child Seat Question

I am trying to get my child seat in my runner and i am having issues. Its an all in one deal and its a PITA. It has to be rear facing for the first few months of the kiddos life. I have worked the lap belt through it but it just doesn't seem tight enough. There is play from side to side. I don't have anything to use the latch system with until i make it forward facing. NO, DUCT TAPE AND RATCHET STRAPS wont work. (already thought of it and the wife didn't find it funny.) Any info you guys could give would be great!
    Gilby
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

Re: Child Seat Question

What brand is your seat? My wife and I were using Gracos with bases but found it more secure without them.
    2001 4Runner 3.4V-6 SR5 4x4 Money Pit<br />2008 FJC TT SE 6 SPEED stock

Have you tried sitting in the seat yourself while you snug it down? That has worked for us when we had trouble getting it tight enough.

stupid question, but did you pull the belt all the way out before routing it through the base/seat? We had a graco w/ base and then a rebadged Britax convertibel, both are secure with the belt. You really have to bear down on the seat while tightening the belt to make it tight enough

Quote Originally Posted by JnJ
    Have you tried sitting in the seat yourself while you snug it down? That has worked for us when we had trouble getting it tight enough.
    x2

There should be a place in town to go to.
    I know the police station here locally sets up child seat classes all the time.

Go by an have them show you the best way to secure your childs seat.
    I know a lot of people that go end up finding out they where doing something wrong.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

You can probably take it to your Highway Patrol to get it checked out and make sure it is installed correctly.

For our first kid, we actually took a couple hour class through the CHP. It was very informative and then they helped us install the seats afterwards. The other cool thing is that you learned what mistakes to look for and what other installation options are there for other vehicles. You got to watch those grandparents when they put carseats in and come pick up your kids.
    My signature

Thanks for the info! I will go out and mess with it some more in the morning. I have the seat in my wifes car secure. I went to the local fire dept. but the girl in charge of the car seats was on maturnity leave...go figure. Thanks again.. this is why i love this site!
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

Have you tried the Mightty Tite Car Seat Belt Tightener?
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2267437

I've been using one for 4 years, first with the rear facing seat and now with a larger forward facing seat.

I don't remember why, but I know our CHP did not like those things.
    My signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast