Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What OBD reader do you use?

What OBD reader do you use?

I just thought it would be good to have a thread where people could say what OBD (either OBD I or OBD II) scanner/reader etc they use, where they got it and how much you paid. Links to company websites or places for product info would be helpful as well.

I use an Auterra (OBD II) in combo with my Palm m130
    I got mine off eBay for about $170 (usually they go for about $150-200)

www.auterraweb.com

- Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Re: What OBD reader do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    I just thought it would be good to have a thread where people could say what OBD (either OBD I or OBD II) scanner/reader etc they use, where they got it and how much you paid. Links to company websites or places for product info would be helpful as well.

I use an Auterra (OBD II) in combo with my Palm m130
    I got mine off eBay for about $170 (usually they go for about $150-200)

www.auterraweb.com

I have been looking at those hard for a while. I don't think there is anything else that comes close. Ebay has been disappointing - nearly retail on all of them.
    1 3 5<br />|-|-|<br />2 4 R<br /><br />http://sr5-4runner.com

Quote Originally Posted by PhorunninDuke
    I have been looking at those hard for a while. I don't think there is anything else that comes close. Ebay has been disappointing - nearly retail on all of them.
    I think the second issue might be related to the first one.
    I'm pretty good at getting deals, but there were no deals to be had even when I got mine.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I got one of these the other day to get with the 90s. It was $89.95 at Pep Boys and scans/erases codes:
    http://www.otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=1376
    It works well but you have to keep track of the manual to look up what the code is.. it doesn't give a description like some other scanners, just the code.

I used to have the Snap-on 2500 scanner. I sold it when I quit working in shops. I'm about ready to invest in whatever the latest equivalent of that it because it sure was nice.
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Quote Originally Posted by amgraham
    I used to have the Snap-on 2500 scanner. I sold it when I quit working in shops. I'm about ready to invest in whatever the latest equivalent of that it because it sure was nice.
    If you liked the Snap-on 2500 scanner then either look into getting an Auterra or a BR-3. Both of those will give you much more capability for advanced diagnostics and troubleshooting over a generic code reader.

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Quote Originally Posted by amgraham
    If you liked the Snap-on 2500 scanner then either look into getting an Auterra or a BR-3. Both of those will give you much more capability for advanced diagnostics and troubleshooting over a generic code reader.
    Yeah, I just got that OTC one to retrieve codes and clear lights.. I'll get a full scanner again sometime.
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Mine's the ScanGaugeII. Paid $130 (group buy price)

http://www.scangauge.com/features/
    - Shannon<br />&#039;99 4Runner SR5, 5 spd, 4x4

BR-3 OBD-II Scan Tool. It's worked fine for what I need, but I admittedly have never used any other kind...
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    BR-3 OBD-II Scan Tool. It's worked fine for what I need, but I admittedly have never used any other kind...
    Shipping:
    We ship only within the United States. We try to ship your item within 2 days if at all possible. Weekends, and holidays are excluded. All orders are shipped via US postal service Priority mail to Continental USA, AK , HI, and possesions. Once mailed, USPS priority mail generally takes about 2-3 additional days for delivery, but can vary considerably. Other methods of shipping are not available.

Which sucks for me being in Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by firebane
    Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    Shipping:
    We ship only within the United States. We try to ship your item within 2 days if at all possible. Weekends, and holidays are excluded. All orders are shipped via US postal service Priority mail to Continental USA, AK , HI, and possesions. Once mailed, USPS priority mail generally takes about 2-3 additional days for delivery, but can vary considerably. Other methods of shipping are not available.

Which sucks for me being in Canada!
    Take a quick ride over the border. its what an hour drive?
    I would go in and stop at the first post office and ask how you go about having something shipped to you there. I know backpackers do it all the time on long trips should be no reason they would protest show em the shipping statement. If the Post office is a no go or inconvenient try a UPS store or Kinko's.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast