Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What air compressor do you have?

Re: What air compressor do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Crux
    How does this one look? I might buy it soon:

http://www.campbellhausfeld.net/weba...egory_rn=10537
    As long as you have the 220/240v to run it on, that would be a great compressor and very good price too!

This site has some great advice on air compressors as well (top):
    http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/universal/ut1.htm
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Jamie,

Do you know anything about the quality of air tools that are included in the accessory packs on some of these compressors (that craftsman one in particular)?

Quote Originally Posted by TDiddy
    Jamie,

Do you know anything about the quality of air tools that are included in the accessory packs on some of these compressors (that craftsman one in particular)?
    Somewhat.....do you have a pic of what comes with them?

Like this?

Usually it's all chinese stuff in the cheapo kits....the impact gun is ok, but weak (ie at 230 ft-lbs, don't expect it to take off more than lug nuts), the air ratchet is pretty much junk (you might get 5-6 uses out of it before it dies), the air hammer is ok, but again just for very light duty work (and the chisels, if it comes with them, deform very easily because they lack proper heat treating).

At the very least, get a decent impact gun (for bigger stuff) to go with it like this:
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
    It's the exact same as an Ingersoll Rand IR2130, just rebranded and alot cheaper.

You could also pick up an IR2131 1/2" impact gun (about 600 ft-lbs in rev) off eBay if you have the patience to do that (may take some time to wait for a good deal to come along). I got mine off there for about $50 shipped to me and it was barely used. I also got an IR2112 3/8" gun off eBay for $60 shipped, but those are VERY tough to get in decent condition because mechanics use them as their workhorse due to the gun's high power (280 ft-lbs in rev) and low weight compared to a 1/2" gun.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
    I gotta upgrade mine cause for a blast cabinet and a plasma mine won't keep up.

I can see the blast cabinet consumption needs, but the plasma? I didn't think those need much in the way of volume (just needs to be good and dry). Yes, I'm still plasma-less...
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I have 2 of these and they are wonderful 25cfm @ 175PSI, the air quality could be better though I would like to add a dryer of some sort even with the inline filters I get some moisture and that kills your tools. And yes of course I oil the tools and compressor.

Aaron
    I can, because I don&#039;t know that I can&#039;t.

i just picked up a 3.5HP / 11 gal from kragen - $90 on sale
    not too loud and keeps the tools moving
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

I got this one (click) from Sears on sale for $350 CAD. It's a bit loud when it runs, but earplugs are cheap. The only thing I own at the time that needs more air that it can provide (on a continuous basis) is my air powered cut-off wheel and die grinder. It's true that a 150 gallon tank and 15-20 cfm @ 100 psi compressor would be nice, but you have to buy the machine that you think you'll need (plus a bit more to be safe).

I've also plumbed in a compressed air distribution system (3/8" hose) in my garage with five quick connect outlets (two on each of my side walls, and one on the back wall at the center of my work bench). It's really convenient to lug just a short coil hose around instead of dragging a 30 foot hose around the whole garage. I still need to get an air dryer and filter to install in my system before I paint my truck.
    2002 4Runner, Auto-A340F, 3.4L, 4.30 Gears<br />TJM T15 Front Bumper &amp; Warn M8000, 4xInnovation sliders, Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift, Toytec LCA Skids, Tundra Brake Upgrade (231mm), Extended rear diff breather,&nbsp; Deckplate Mod, Andymod, Dual batt setup with Optima blue top aux battery, Hardwired 1000W inverter, Aux fuse box, Full time power to 12V plugs, Yaesu FT7800R Radio, &quot;4-air&quot; system for airing up/down tires.<br /><br />2004 Camry LE - stock (and will stay that way)<br /><br />1993 4Runner has been sold

Quote Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
    I still need to get an air dryer and filter to install in my system before I paint my truck.
    If you find something at a good price (CDN) up here, lemme know because I need the same thing too for mine!

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    If you find something at a good price (CDN) up here, lemme know because I need the same thing too for mine!
    Will do.

2002 4Runner, Auto-A340F, 3.4L, 4.30 Gears<br />TJM T15 Front Bumper &amp; Warn M8000, 4xInnovation sliders, Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift, Toytec LCA Skids, Tundra Brake Upgrade (231mm), Extended rear diff breather,&nbsp; Deckplate Mod, Andymod, Dual batt setup with Optima blue top aux battery, Hardwired 1000W inverter, Aux fuse box, Full time power to 12V plugs, Yaesu FT7800R Radio, &quot;4-air&quot; system for airing up/down tires.<br /><br />2004 Camry LE - stock (and will stay that way)<br /><br />1993 4Runner has been sold

I have a 2-stage Ingersol Rand, you can see it stuffed in the very back corner

99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123