Thread: bamachem's Black 99 4WD Limited

bamachem's Black 99 4WD Limited

Lee keeps bugging me about pics, so here they are!

It's a 99 4WD Limited with e-Locker. Black on Tan. It was a one-owner in central FL with all records and up-to-date maintenance. It only had a few blemishes on the outside, and the interior was near perfect. 140k on it, but it didn't show it at all. Here's pics of the day I picked it up in Tampa. Stock 4.30's and e-Locker sure are nice to have!

Since those pics, I've purchased some OEM floor mats and cargo mat to keep the carpet nice. I also got some 17x8 Gunmetal Wheels from a Sequoia with some 265/70-17 (32") Dueler REVOs for tires.

Other plans:

Upgrade Tunes (Polk Mids + 12" Sub)
    Hella 2000 Driving Lights (8.75" and 100W each, in my garage)

To mount the hellas, I'll probably fab up a bracket to mount to the front OEM bumper and just put them on it if I don't just drill holes in the bumper itself.

-andy

Re: bamachem's Black 99 4WD Limited

for those interested, here's some pics of my new BFG Mud Terrains in 255/75/17 (32" x 10").

-andy

Re: bamachem's Black 99 4WD Limited

From the day that I bought this truck, I have intended on painting the bronze trim to black. Well, I finally got around to doing it!

It was OK, but that bronze crap just never looked right.

Since Toyota Black paints are non-metallic and don't require a clear-coat, I went with Sherwin Williams single-stage urethane enamel auto paint, and used a HPLV gravity fed gun on a small compressor. Shot it at 40 psig with the feed and airflow turned WAY down so that it was almost like a heavy airbrush.

Getting started with the masking...

Covered in Plastic:

Starting to sand:

All wiped down and ready for some color!

Getting there...

Oh yeah...

Ahhhh, Much better!

That was Friday night, in the span of about 3-hours total time. I let it bake in the sun all day on Saturday, then I brought it back in the garage, wet-sanded it all back down w/ some 1000-grit, then I shot a very-thin final color coat.

I still have to order some new fender flare gaskets from the dealer. I can't believe how much better it looks as all-black rather than the factory two-tone. It also helps to have that tag surround to be body-matched as well.

That's the way the black 3rd Gen Limited should have come from the factory!

More pics to come of the final product!
    -andy