Thread: Prius Production to Mississippi, All Tundra to Texas

Prius Production to Mississippi, All Tundra to Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jon F. Thompson @ Open Road
    There’s been a good deal of curiosity lately about when we might begin building our Prius Hybrid here in North America. Now we can satisfy that curiosity.

As part of a sweeping set of changes that reflect the state of the automobile business in the United States, Prius production will begin here in late 2010 at a brand-new plant currently under construction in Blue Springs, Mississippi. Prius thus will join the Kentucky-built Camry Hybrid as the second Toyota hybrid produced in North America. This important step will allow us to better respond to increased demand for hybrid vehicles.

Production of the Highlander midsize SUV, originally scheduled for the new Mississippi plant, will shift to our Princeton, Indiana plant. That change becomes effective Fall 2009.

With Highlander’s move to the Princeton plant, production of the Tundra will be consolidated at our San Antonio, Texas plant, effective Spring 2009.

Part of what’s driving these changes is the declining market for fullsize pickups and SUVs. Because of that declining market, Toyota is temporarily suspending Tundra and Sequoia production beginning August 8th. Production is scheduled to resume in November. Production of V8 engines at our Huntsville, Alabama plant also will be suspended.

Team members at all three facilities will be provided employment during this period.

These changes are intended as a way to minimize – for us, at least - the effects of the economic influenza that has swept through the ranks of the automotive industry, and to be sure that we have the right factories producing the right products.

- Jon F. Thompson, Editor, Open Road
    Source: Toyota
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: Prius Production to Mississippi, All Tundra to Texas

I saw that on truth about cars earlier and wow! I think it's a big statement on just how bad the auto industry is hurting. Toyota is lucky they can shift so quickly, although this move a couple months ago would have been even better.

It's an interesting time, and I'm not sure most people realize whats really goimg on yet. There are strong signs that 1 or 2 domestic car makers could be filing for bankruptcy soon, I think a lot of people will be shocked when it happens.
    Brian

This is good news. I like hearing this.

Now they just have to keep that battery technology moving forward also. Our Prius could be much more efficient (current historical average is 44.6mpg) if the battery could hold more of the charge that the car can produce at times.

You make a great point in that Ford especially will have a very difficult time retooling for the changing market after having the F150 and its SUVs do so well for so long. IMHO cars like the Focus were thought of as a "well we should build this type of car also I guess" to a platform that could help save the company.

GM may not have as hard of a time though. They seem to have been making more cars lately and cars like the new Malibu are a huge step in the right direction for them and this market.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

Eric,

Have you heard about the solar panels (kyocera) that will be added to the tops of the Prius? That's the new word around the block but I haven't been able to get any solid info through my connections so I've been hesitant to post this info. More of a rumor. If they do indeed add this to their factory line up it'll definitely make it more interesting

I'm interested to see if Toyota makes any Hydrogen and/or Natural Gas vehicles.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I saw the solar prius thing on abcnews.com. They said the solar cells are mostly symbolic because they're only going to be used to run the air conditioner. I'd have to agree, solar cells are so inefficient that they just don't make enough electricity to do much. They need a lot of real estate to do anything.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

The solar thing sounds like a sales gimick to me. Agreed that the tech is just not there yet.

Not sure if you guys saw the thread I started about Mr T. Boone Pickens but his idea is weighted very heavily towards CNG. Taking it from elect power plants and putting it in the Trans sector. Replacing CNG in elect sector with wind/nuke.

So if his idea takes off Toyota will want to be making CNG vehicles. They are following this stuff super closely I am sure.

The link on that tread is very interesting as far as moving the entire country in a new direction.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

The lead designer that was working on the second generation of Toyota's Prius recently died of overwork. Apparently, the guy was putting in 80 hours of OVERTIME.

http://www.reuters.com/article/inDep...20005520080211
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA &quot;TURTLE TACO&quot;[/glow]&nbsp; &lt;All the goods listed here&gt;