Thread: Fused links ... connected battery backwards

Fused links ... connected battery backwards

When I first started doing mx work on my truck, I figured if I screwed it up badly I could always tow it. Now I think I will have to do it, because I'm not sure how to fix it. The ground wire for the battery was worn and needed replacing, which I did and figured that while I was doing that I'd replace the negative connector for my truck b/c I thought it would be fun. When putting the battery back in I wasn't careful and put the guy in backward and connected it. I replaced the 100A fuse and now have lights and the starter cranks, but the engine won't catch and strangely, the power door locks don't work.

I'm wondering if I blewup my alternator or torched a fusable link or something. Thoughts?

Oh...and I OD'd on Immodium b/c I had the stomach flu and am now constipated
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

Re: Fused links ... connected battery backwards

sounds like fun, my buddy did that and he blew out his main fuse (whatever that is) so just trace the wires back to a fuse thats blown and thats prob. your problem. i dont see why you would blow out an alternator from that, but then again i am clueless when it comes to electrical, as you will see in an upcoming post from me!

good luck!
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

I doubt you blew the alt. Keep checking fuses, and fusable links. Use an ohm meter or a test light.

^^^^ agreed, i doubt its the alt. you gotta check fuses and to be honest, replace ones that look good. you'd be surprised how a fuse can look brand new and good but it's actually bad.

i went through this when my buddy hooked the cables up wrong to jump my battery... i blew about 10 fuses.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Ok, thanks fellas. About the fusable-links, where would I find them. I know they exist, but have no idea where they'd be or how to replace them. I'll take care of the fuses tonight though.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

Besides your mains, probably big square fuses 40,60,80+ amp fuses, your links might be in your engine compartment fuse box. Sometimes they looks like jumper wires, other times manufacturers just use fuses, you just need to check them with a meter or light.

Ok, problem was the control fuse (15A) for the fuel injection. Cars running, but grabbed the wrong type of fuses for one type so still haven't restored the door locks or clock. Thanks for the info on the fusable links. I didn't know they were the relays inside the fuse box

For future reference, there are also ones inside the cab. Also good to have spare fuses somewhere in your truck and a spare main fuse (140/120/100a, etc.)
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA &quot;TURTLE TACO&quot;[/glow]&nbsp; &lt;All the goods listed here&gt;

Yeah, I think I'll grab another 100A and keep it with the smaller guys that I now have with me always