enjoy!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: Why you should never talk to the police

After watching the whole thing, I have to say it's a really eye-opening video. It will definitely make me think twice in the future...
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

good info, lance. even more relevant that the cop validated and agreed with the lawyer

very good.

i will never allow an officer to search my vehicle without a warrant. advise from my uncle, an investigator for the DA.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Good video

Couple things to keep in mind.

That applies to "persons of interest", or suspects, etc...

If you are witness to a crime, you have to be careful. You can always consent to answer questions with a lawyer present, or stop answering questions at any time. However, if you are indeed a witness, you also tread the ground of withholding information or interfering with an investigation. Both of which will land you in jail.

So be careful. Never talk to the police is the great advice if you have been arrested. Don't do it. If you haven't been though, and the police don't specifically tell you they are looking for witnesses, don't do it without first consulting a lawyer.

Couple of things I liked about the cops side. Miranda. Not a right. The cop did a great job of pointing that out. Your rights were always there. People are just stupid.

He talked about waiving Miranda. Not to worry, you cannot ever do this. You can choose not to exercise your rights, but you can just as quickly choose to start at any time.

If the cops ever try to get you to "waive" your rights, or tell you that you "waived them" so you have to talk to them, its total bullshit. At ANY point during ANY conversation with ANY officer of the court, you can assert your rights as spelled out in ANY part of the constitution, though mostly you'll be concerned with the 5th or 6th, likely. If you start talking to the cops, and don't like where the conversation is going, you can end it. Just stop talking.

Speeding is a funny one, and one that isn't really good any way you slice it. Speeding is a strict liability crime, meaning no mens rea is necessary to assign guilt. "Do you know how fast you were going?" Doesn't matter in the slightest.

With speeding you gamble the officer's mercy is all. Do you tell him yes, in the hopes that he is forgiving, and lets you off? Do you tell him you don't know? Do you say, "40" even though the limit is 35? Up to you. If he decides to give you a ticket, doesn't matter if you knew it or not, if your car malfunctioned, or if you can't read the signs. You were speeding, you are guilty.

Sean, also good advice. However, the automobile exception makes that sort of irrelevant if they really want to. All they need is probable cause, and they can search without a warrant, and they generally won't do that unless they've got something they can sneak by as "probable cause" in court. Not worth the hassle otherwise.

Anyway, good flick.

-I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

another uncle has pulled that one on several occasions, and he has never been searched. once asked, he replied get a warrant, the officers stepped back, talked, and let him go with no further challenge.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Excellent video. I'd also like to add a book called "Outlaw's Bible" by E.X.Boozhie, if you're interested in Constitutional Rights. It was written in the late 80's by an ex-con and is an easy read
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    another uncle has pulled that one on several occasions, and he has never been searched. once asked, he replied get a warrant, the officers stepped back, talked, and let him go with no further challenge.
    I agree with you 100%. If a cop asks to search my car, I will ALWAYS say no, without a warrent. Just pointing out that they don't need one.

They WILL try to see you you are dumb, and say "sure, i've got nothing to hide".

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    Excellent video. I'd also like to add a book called "Outlaw's Bible" by E.X.Boozhie, if you're interested in Constitutional Rights. It was written in the late 80's by an ex-con and is an easy read
    Curious on the book. Is it a discussion on a convict being denied rights? I may have to check it out.

As for a read on constitutional rights, I recommend a great document, goes by the name of "The US Constitution".

You'd be shocked and disgusted by the number of people in this country who've never read it.

That was a very good video to watch, thanks for posting it.
    96 4Runner SR5 B&amp;M trans cooler, H.I.D conversion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast