Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patriotic Answer to $4/Gallon Gas?

Re: Patriotic Answer to $4/Gallon Gas?

just throwing this out there, but who in this group has thought that perhaps OPEC is waging an economic war on the US? the more they charge for oil, the richer they get and it causes damage to our economy.

now is the time to start drilling at home (short term) and investing heavily in alternative energy and infastructure for it (long term).

Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

The solution is far from easy and it does not come down to one thing.

First off, there's no switching in the snap of a finger, yes that means that we need to drill here (and it doesn't take that long to start obtaining oil/natural gas). This will buy us time in the oil market today. There is also coal to gas plants that WORK and we have plenty of coal. In this time, we need to build nuclear, solar, and wind power as much as we can. Utilize wind/solar on a more local level and use nuclear on a larger scale.

As for vehicles, research needs to go into biofuels (cellulosic, not starch based). As well as electric vehicles (already going, I know)

Does this mean the environment might suffer? To some extent, yes. However, what happens when our country goes into the ground and we can't afford to spend ANY money on the environment? Yup, that's right, it will probably get worse.

The simple fact of the matter is that the enviro's need to get along with every one and back off their pedistal that is driving this country into the ground and allow us to ease the economic pressure that is building so we can focus more time and money into CLEAN energy sources.

I think that there's enough people who have received a wake up call and realize that even IF we start drilling, we need to put pressure on getting alternative energy sources going.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I could be wrong, but I thought that the U.S. government posted speed limits were designed for the optimum fuel efficiency of the cars on the road (75mph on desert roads contributes to bamachem's discussion on the value of time over money on long-distance trips).

Just an interesting thought about posted speed signs. I know that I have vastly improved my mileage by keeping my RPM's as close to 2000 or below and avoiding abrupt accelerations.
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA &quot;TURTLE TACO&quot;[/glow]&nbsp; &lt;All the goods listed here&gt;

Quote Originally Posted by mYnAmEiSmUdD
    Word!

Public Xportation is your friend.
    Exactly! I purchase a pass for my local transportation system for 35.00 a month. That gets me bus rides to work during the day and the night taxi service after work. I've cut down to driving my truck to work only on Sundays, unless my schedule requires me to drive.

Since gas hit 4.00 here (4.23 now), I've only put 20.00 of gas into my truck.
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

well now that we are just starting to see prices drop here on the west coast people are starting to say "wow it's getting cheaper." I personally think the oil companies are ratcheting up the price to see where the breaking point in the economy is. Then they can drop the price a little and we all think were getting a better deal when in fact we are just being trained to do what they want us to do for them which is call congress and bitch. they have us over a barrel so just get used to it and dont expect those dipshits in washington to help you considering they get a ton of money from the oil companies
    85 4 runner that&#39;s just a little modified call TUBINGWORKS FAB FOR ANY FAB NEEDS 619 438 1160

how bad is bad? here's a historic analysis by some economist. take it for what its worth:

[img width=800 height=543]http://www.inflationdata.com/inflation/images/charts/Oil/Inflation_adjusted_gasoline_price.jpg[/img]

The black line represents the AVERAGE price people paid for gas at that particular year across the nation. of course, gas is higher here in CA and HI (for example), and our prices are avg'd with everyone elses.

The red line represents what the black line's avg price would be if we factored in things like inflation. So that is why in 2008, the prices meet as we are comparing in 2008 dollars.

So for example 10 years ago in 1998, the price of gas adjusted in 2008 dollars is about $1.60. In 2008, we are paying $3.08. So comparatively speaking, we are paying $1.48 more than we did 10 years ago.

So some key take aways here:

1) in 1918, people were paying $3.51 per gallon. In 1981, people were paying in 3.17. Today, we are paying $3.08. So when you hear someone say we're paying the highest gas prices in US history, according to this guy, we are not.
    2) Spike #1: In the early 30s, gas spiked upwards. Yup, WWII.
    3) Spike #2: 1973 OPEC Oil embargo
    4) Spike #3: 1979 Iran revolution and Iran/Iraq war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_energy_crisis). Read it, interesting parallel to what is happening today
    5) Sharp decline thereafter: read the link above. Summary: overproduction and underconsumption
    6) Spike #4 (past 6 yrs): World conflicts, rising demand/consumption from growing powers like China, India, etc., oil speculation, US wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, etc. For those of you who want to blame Republicans and Big Oil for the past 5-6 years of increasing gas prices, some reading will help you understand popular finger pointing vs what is actually happening in the world and how it affects gas prices: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_pri..._2004_and_2005

And my favorite topic: the bashing of "Big Oil". Sheesh, let's get something straight here, folks..and there's so much written on it, I wish people would read a little more. Here's a link from factcheck.org that I find very well written about a recent Obama ad accusing McCain of taking in $2M (actually $1.3M)...while conveniently leaving out the fact that Obama, the man of great principle and change, took in appromixately $400k. Obama-maniacs, please lobby him to return that money because its tainted Big Oil money!!! http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...statement.html

BUT!!! And here's the big butt according to this article:

"It bears repeating, as we've reminded readers before, that oil companies themselves don't make donations. It's illegal under federal law for corporations to donate directly to candidates and has been since 1918. The ad refers to donations from executives and employees of oil companies, given either directly or through company-sponsored political action committees, or PACs."

So its not the corporations like Exxon, BP, etc that are directly donating as many hysterical liberals would want you to believe, but the employees and PAC of these companies. So what's the big difference some will ask? They're donating from their own paychecks. So in comparison, the heavily Democratic school teacher's union *members* overwhelmingly donate to the Democratic party. So does that mean "Big School Teacher's Union" should be (erroneously) targeted for Republican smear ads? Or how about "Big Entertainment!" I'd love to roast those idiot Hollywood stars! Ah, no. It's stupid because its not factually correct.

One thing I will agree on is that for the benefit of commerce and our economy, gas prices will need to come down as a greater percentage of people's post-tax income is spent on gas. I have foregone all but 1 off roading trips this year because of gas prices. But I still need to commute to/from work. So what's the solution in my opinion? World stability. As you've seen, wars create instability. But then again, wars create stability too. If there is a destabilizing world leader out there that threatens world stability (Hitler, The Ayatolla, etc) through sabre rattling, wars, etc, the threat needs to be mitigated or taken out. Sure, the addage that "blood for oil" is somewhat true. As a nation, we rely on foreign oil. If we are cut off, as we did in the early 70s and again in the late 70s, we suffer from inflation, hyperinflation, etc. And then we're really screwed.

And if you haven't seen it, Youtube Paris Hilton's video on Energy Policy. The dumb bitch has got it right: interim domestic drilling and ramping up renewables and nuclear energy for the long term.

Bob

As I see it the patriotic thing would be to go over there, beat them down and take the oil since they are obnoxious with their prices, but we cant do that.

1. We need to drill here, screw those who oppose it, they can walk.

2. We need to convert and build more cars that can run on diesel/bio diesel.

3. Driving slower is fine, but there should be a minimum limit of no more than 5mph under the posted limit. For some reason when people see 55mph, they drive EVEN SLOWER!

4. Alternative energy needs to be fully done up

5. We need to stop sending the oil we do produce out of country, this is a bad thing but apparently more profitable.

6. I find it funny that a truck made in 1970 with a large V8 and made totally out of metal got about 12mpg, dont you find it funny that today an 02 super duty ford gets the SAME exact thing??? The diesels only get maybe 5mpg better overall. Isnt that odd, that a car made 30+ years ago is just as efficent without all kinds of electronics and emmission control devices??
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I want hydrogen vehicles...

...and some curly fries.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

mmmmmmm hydrogen.... (and curly fries)
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12