Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patriotic Answer to $4/Gallon Gas?

Patriotic Answer to $4/Gallon Gas?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20080715/cm_csm/ydillin

Patriotic answer to $4-a-gallon gas:

Drive less, and slow down

By John Dillin
    Tue Jul 15, 4:00 AM ET

Washington - Three decades ago, during an earlier energy crisis, Ronald Reagan strode into an Atlanta hotel for a political meeting. As he approached the auditorium, someone asked:

"Governor Reagan, as a conservative, don't you think the 55 miles-per-hour speed limit imposed by the government to save gas is a violation of our freedom?"

In his amiable manner, Reagan chuckled quietly and, as I recall, he replied something like this:

"Well, that could be. But, speaking just personally, I think it's not a bad thing if we all slow down just a bit and enjoy the scenery a little more."

We could all use that kind of common sense today as gas rises past $4.

Many ideas are being put forth to ameliorate an energy-price crisis that threatens job security and economic growth in the United States.

Famous oilman T. Boone Pickens wants to build huge turbines all over the Midwest to harness wind energy.

Many members of Congress want to drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) where – at today's prices – there is probably $1 trillion worth of oil waiting to be pumped.

In California, moves are afoot to make the state the renewable energy capital of the nation.

But – and there always seems to be a "but" – all of those ideas take time. Five years to build substantial wind farms. Ten years to tap Arctic oil.

Meanwhile, The Wall Street Journal has published predictions that a barrel of oil could reach $200 as soon as the end of this year. If that happens, gasoline would hit $6 a gallon.

Woe is us.

Or maybe not.

Instead, the time may be ripe for individual citizen action – like the Minutemen of 1775. After all, isn't that how we got this great country started 233 years ago?

There are two steps we can take right away that could have greater impact than oil from the Arctic. They are so simple and straightforward that they are seldom mentioned. But Americans took these steps during World War II, and they worked.

First, drive slower.

Second, drive less.

The savings of gasoline from these two steps would be phenomenal. (More on that in a moment.)

During World War II, Congress and President Franklin Roosevelt mandated a nationwide 35 m.p.h. speed limit. At that time, 35 m.p.h. was the most efficient speed for autos. Even more important, it helped preserve automobile tires, which was crucial because Japan had cut off American access to natural rubber from Southeast Asia.

Today, 35 m.p.h. is no longer the best speed for autos with their sleek designs and advanced transmissions. Newer vehicles generally get the highest gas mileage somewhere between 45 and 55 m.p.h., says David L. Greene of the National Transportation Research Center at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Knoxville, Tenn.

The main force reducing mileage is air drag, says Dr. Greene. The faster you go, the greater the drag. Drag forces increase exponentially, so doubling your speed from 40 to 80 increases drag fourfold.

It makes a huge difference, for at 80 m.p.h. your car pushes against wind with the force of a hurricane.

Consumer Reports tested the effect of higher speeds on gas mileage. David Champion, director of auto testing, found that boosting the highway speed of a 2006 Toyota Camry cut gasoline mileage dramatically:

•55 m.p.h. – 40.3 miles per gallon

•65 m.p.h. – 34.9 miles per gallon

•75 m.p.h. – 29.8 miles per gallon

**(sidenote, in an SUV with a higher aerodynamic drag coefficient, you can expect to see even HIGHER percentage gains in MPG/efficiency by just slowing down!)**

On a hypothetical 1,900-mile round trip from New York City to Disney World in Florida, the Camry would use 47 gallons of gas at 55 m.p.h.. But at 75 m.p.h., it would burn nearly 64 gallons – a $70 difference.

Ideally, if we all bought 45 m.p.g. Toyota Prius hybrids, US gasoline use would drop in half, from 9.3 million barrels per day, to under 5 million barrels a day. Of course, that won't happen.

So a practical and immediate response would be not only to drive slower, but also drive less. Government made that happen in World War II by limiting most drivers to four gallons of gas per week.

That's unlikely now. But consider this: If everyone could reduce their driving by just 10 percent, the savings would total nearly 1 million barrels of gasoline every day.

How much is that? Well, it amounts to about half our daily oil imports from Saudi Arabia. It also would be equal to the highest expected production of oil if we drill in ANWR. And we can do it today.

Mr. Pickens notes that America will spend $10 trillion in the next 10 years on imported oil. US wealth is draining fast overseas.

But as individuals, we can turn this around. Today. Don't wait for Barack Obama, or John McCain, or some whiz kid in Silicon Valley to solve this problem. None of them can do it quick enough.

It's up to us. Save gas, and win this fight.
    -andy

Re: Patriotic Answer to $4/Gallon Gas?

Damn right.

GREAT article.

Only way gas is going down is if we drive it down. Basic economics. Demand drops, so do prices.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

That is a good article and there is no disputing the mpg gains of slowing down. But.. the economic results are disputable. Our demand has dropped slightly but cost still go up. That is because this is a global oil market and China's boom in automobile ownership is eating up all that we save.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

for most people, their time is more valuable than the marginal amount that they save for single, long-distance trips.

however, for everyday, short-distance commutes, this would be feasable and should be common practice. after all, for a 30-minute commute, if you slow down by 20% (48MPH vs 60MPH), then your time only increases by 6-minutes, but your fuel consumption can drop by 15-25% depending on the vehicle that you drive.

even if our reduced consumption doesn't really bring the price down all that much, at least you will see a reduction in cost for your own commute, as well as it being the right thing to do since higher efficiencies equals less emissions per mile.
    -andy

Quote Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
    That is a good article and there is no disputing the mpg gains of slowing down. But.. the economic results are disputable. Our demand has dropped slightly but cost still go up. That is because this is a global oil market and China's boom in automobile ownership is eating up all that we save.
    DING DING DING

We (the USA) can use less, which will lower the cost for China, India, etc to consume more.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

ok im going to try this starting next week. im going to drive 65mph on a 28 mile stretch of freeway i take everyday both ways. then the following week, 75pmh

NOT!

Good read.

Are gas prices really determined by supply and demand? I understand economics, and I do not understand all the wrinkles with futures, etc. but it seems to me that this is not true.

Decreasing fuel consumption, good. Is decreasing consumption the right route, I am trying to learn.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Speculation causes prices to be higher than standard supply and demand, but gas has risen so drastically because there are more hands grabbing it up on the world scene.

To an extent, I believe that what is posted here is correct: decreasing our demand only leaves room for other to increase, and prices continue to rise.

I suppose what should be talked about is getting off of oil completely. Things aren't that bad yet.

I suppose for me it will remain: Drive less = less money out of pocket.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

I think it is a good idea but the title of the thread is the best reason so far, not the cost/ gallon.

The "Patriotic" value of reducing our dependance on the middle east countries is the real deal here.

I personally have no problem spending more for some alt fuels if it means that my money does not go to people that hate us, reguardless of what we do for them.

So I like the subject of this thread very much as it seems the definition of Patriotism is pretty out of wack among Americans lately.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

That article makes some great points. The cost of fuel has certainly slowed me down. Hell, I don't even watch my speedo anymore, I keep my eye on the tach. At 2K, I'm running 65mph flat (265/75s). I keep it around 1800rpm on the way to/from of work these days.

On a recent trip to camp (2.5 hour drive), I tried to hold 1900-2000rpm (60-65mph) as opposed to my more typical 75mph (~2500-2600rpm). I saved a smidge over 1/4 tank by doing so. Not trying to pulling some of the mountains at 75mph (and running 3500K in passing gear while doing so) certainly helped.

The other thing I've done (and partially the reason for my absence) is I recently picked up a 'new-to-me' toy, with hopes it will save a few dimes down the road. A slightly used 2008 KLR650 (Candy Lime Green), which should get around 50-55mpg if driven sensibly. Some say they get as much as 58mpg, but I'm not counting on that much. Its big enough to handle interstate speeds, yet nimble/light enough for some weekend fun.

I had been saving Christmas & B-day $$ for SA1911 for a couple years, but decided to make a dent in the cost of the KLR hoping it'll be a better return on investment. Driving just ~3500 miles a year will save ~$650 per year vs. the 4Runner at $4 gal. Should pay for itself in ~4 years. Quicker if I can get more miles per year or the cost per gallon continues to climb. Insurance is a wash at $75 a year (no collision). I looked at some smaller bikes, but the KLR provides some protection against rain/wind as compared to 400cc/250cc variations and it gets nearly the same MPG as the 400cc. Some of the newest fuel injected 250cc claim to 70mpg* (note the big asterisk), but the additional ~$2500+ of buying a new '09 off-set the fuel savings.

The way I figure it, I'd be giving my money to the oil company by continuing to DD the 4Runner, or I gamble and spend it on a bike with hopes of getting a return in a couple years. Worst case, I sell it if it doesn't work out. Bike prices are likely to increase/hold their value longer as demand increase.
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast