Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightforce HID upgraded 35 watt HID to 55 watt HID

Lightforce HID upgraded 35 watt HID to 55 watt HID

As most of you know, I got some Lightforce 240's converted to HID from here:
    http://off-roadlights.com/xcart/prod...cat=257&page=1

Well, unfortunately I got one of the ballast wet when cleaning the engine bay and fried it. I contacted Dick (the owner of off-roadlights.com) and he was more than helpful and offered to replace the ballast for free.

I also came across this: http://www.retro-solutions.com/55WD2SKIT.html

I decided it was time to upgrade the lights. Dick was offering to replace the bulbs himself, however, he constructed the lights to a great detail and made changing the bulbs to a 30 second operation. So anyways, I decided to take some pictures....

Camera settings:

Nikon D300
    5 second shutter speed
    f/8.0
    ISO 200

Click on picture for larger image

Here's the 35 watt HID spot pattern

55 watt HID spot pattern

Both 35 and 55 watt spot beam side by side

35 watt HID wide pattern

55 watt HID wide pattern

35 and 55 watt HID wide pattern side by side

Both 55 watt HID spot pattern

Both 55 watt HID wide pattern

Here's a picture of the 55 watt HID bulb with a shutter speed of 1/8000 of a second with an f/stop of 8.0 (for those of you who don't know cameras, that lets in VERY little light)

All I can say is that these lights are the brightest thing I've ever seen. (With the sun coming in a close second)
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Re: Lightforce HID upgraded 35 watt HID to 55 watt HID

Nice! I plan on upgrading mine to a 50/55watt HID soon.

Are those shots with the yellow filter on?
    My signature

You will not be disappointed. It takes insanely bright lights, and makes them.... speechless.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I was already planning on throwing a 50watt HID kit in my 240 and then I was going to upgrade my 35watt HID 170's as well, since one of my ballasts is a replacement one and puts out a slightly different color than the other one.

I'm surprised that spraying off your engine fried a ballast. Must have already been defective.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    I was already planning on throwing a 50watt HID kit in my 240 and then I was going to upgrade my 35watt HID 170's as well, since one of my ballasts is a replacement one and puts out a slightly different color than the other one.

I'm surprised that spraying off your engine fried a ballast. Must have already been defective.
    It got through the 'waterproof' power plug (from the battery) and jumped the prongs on the ballast. This time, I'm going to just use some tape to seal it really well. Not disappointed though, it 'forced' me to upgrade

I was able to do some driving around last night and WOW! Standing still pictures are impressive, but use those when you are driving around it is incredible! Next I'll get some pictures of the lights with the filters put on.

For those of you who are upgrading to 55W, you're upgrading the ballasts as well as the bulbs, correct?

I sold my 170s to slosurfer a while ago who put them to much better use then I ever did...I never even got to hooking them up even as my relocation plans went awry. Anyway, I moved from the city and now do quite a bit of night-time/early morning driving, both interstate and back roads. Driving home and back ( 7 hour drive each way; I mostly drive at night ) I see a TON of deer and plenty of very fresh roadkill. I assume the semis do it and keep on going.

I'm looking to avoid any potential deer encounters so I'll pick up a set of these converted lightforces (they're cheaper then an ARB, ha!) , I think 170s should do the trick pretty well. Oly, I assume that excluding the fried ballast ( waterproof, ha! ) you're pretty thrilled with the lights, huh?

&#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Hey Nick, how's it going? Thanks for the deal on the 170's, I love them. Yes you have to upgrade the ballasts to 55watt. In fact, I believe that most of the bulbs are the same between the 35 and 55 watt kits, it is the ballast that makes the difference in wattage and in color (at least till you get into the extreme colors). There are a few specific 55watt bulbs, but they are uber expensive. (at least this is what I was finding when I was researching it awhile ago). Someone who knows better, feel free to correct me if I am off on that.

You will not be disappointed with either 35watt or 55 watt 170's. Really the two converted 35watt 170's with the combo filters were easily enough light for what you are looking for. I just got kind of hooked on getting more light and got offered the cheap 240, so I had to take it . You will get plenty of forward light and for the deer, that important side to side light, all with very little strain on your charging system.

I don't think I've seen the 170's with the 55watt kit yet. If someone wants to give me a 55watt kit, I'll throw them in my 170's for a comparison.
    My signature

Nick, 55 watt ballasts and bulbs is correct, I replaced both.

As for the fried ballast, I'll clear it up a bit.

The lights I got were the 240's with 35 watt bulb/ballast HIDs. Upon cleaning my engine bay, water entered the connection from the battery to the ballast on one of them, so when I fired up my lights, only one worked as the other ballast shorted out.

The ballast itself did not cause the problem, only the power connection to the ballast let a bit of water in which allowed a short to occur. My fault 100%.

So, when this happend, Dick (owner of off-roadlights.com) was more than happy to replace the 35 watt ballast at no cost due to the warranty. I was just about to ship it when I came across the retro solutions 55 watt HID kit. A bit of searching turned up that they make a great light kit and that it is well worth it (to which I completely agree).

So, I decided instead of getting a new ballast, that I would upgrade my 240's with 55 watt HID's. As for being thrilled, definitely. They are, with out a doubt, the brightest off road lights, let alone any light I've ever seen. I think my brother has a big 10 million candle power spot light that I'm hoping to compare it to so that people can get a real idea of how insanely bright these lights really are.

If you are interested, you might want to shoot Dick an email: rlclemen@comcast.net

He's a great guy and I highly recommend him.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    There are a few specific 55watt bulbs, but they are uber expensive. (at least this is what I was finding when I was researching it awhile ago). Someone who knows better, feel free to correct me if I am off on that.
    The retro solutions kit has 55 watt bulbs, and really, for $190 for bulbs and ballasts shipped (very fast shipping BTW) it is not a bad deal at all!

I too did find it hard to find info on 55 watt bulbs, however, they do exist!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast