Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightforce HID upgraded 35 watt HID to 55 watt HID

Re: Lightforce HID upgraded 35 watt HID to 55 watt HID

Those were some instantaneous replies there!

@ Chris: Absolutely! Most worry-free transaction I've ever had...cept for that bit when USPS decided to take the second package with all the important stuff on a more scenic route You've done an incredible amount of work to those lights; I saw your conversion thread and decided that I don't any anywhere near the amount of skill to do it, so I figured I'd be better picking up a ready-made pair. I guess Dick has a bit of time on his hands for this mod!

I currently run Hella 550 fogs, which do OK for side to side vision ( better then the stock beams) , which I agree is really important. The critters don't usually appear smack dab in the middle of the road, they're usually off to the side contemplating life or the end of such as they know it...so it's good to see them and slow down before they make their choice. One can never have enough light, except, ah, was it you that had the thread where the local law decided to drive halfway across town to see who was lighting up the river?!

You mentioned the (yellow) combo filters; are you still using those? I think I'll be picking up another set of the same ones.

@ Oly:

What K are the bulbs that came with the kit rated at? Just curious! Also, in order to avoid your experience, I'm either going to use some electrical tape or silicone to better seal up the battery connection.

I think I'll be sticking with whatever the stock conversion comes with; at this point I have to decide whether I want the 240s or the 170s more then anything, the price difference between them is relatively small, more of an issue on whether they'll fit on my front bumper or not! (I have holes drilled) I'm sure both lights will be fine for the task, though - I realize they're illegal on public roads, but it's so flipping dark at night, and I'd turn them (and my high beams, although with these, I probably won't need highs anymore) off whenever I see another vehicle approaching from the other side.

I second the notion that Dick is a great guy, I've actually dealt with him in the past (customer-service wise) and he was prompt and very helpful.

They're pricey but I think the lights are a good investment, and being lightforce brand, they'll probably last forever.
    '96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

I got the 4300K bulbs/ballasts. I like the color more than 5000K or higher. I'm going to seal my connections better as well when I get home tonight.

I too use these on the back roads at night. While yes, it might be considered illegal, they always get turned off when I see headlights coming around the corner.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Oly, just curious how you know that those are 55watt bulbs? I had already found those retro-solutions kits long ago and I had a hard time finding out if they were true 55 watt bulbs for all their kits.

Edit: I now seem to remember that the only true 50watt HID bulbs made were of the DS2 variety but the bulbs themselves were only made by one company and were very expensive. This was a few months ago (maybe longer, I'd have to look at my thread), and I had tried to become a member at HIDplanet but my registration wasn't going through. Anyways, just wodering how you confirmed that the bulbs are 55watt?

One reason I'm also skeptical is because of the "booster" type ballasts that are 35watt and then can boost to 50watt with a switch and they just have a 35watt bulb in them.

Just wondering because I may just try to find some 55watt HID ballasts to plug into mine till I can afford another kit.

My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Oly, just curious how you know that those are 55watt bulbs? I had already found those retro-solutions kits long ago and I had a hard time finding out if they were true 55 watt bulbs for all their kits.
    Well, I guess I can take that back a bit.

I talked with the owner, Todd Strong. Here's the email:

Yes they have wattage rating, most bulbs are a standard 35w rating as all OEM is 35w HID. We carry 55w bulbs as well, although you don't want to use those on a standard ballast, for any improvement and proper operation they need 50w or 55w ballasts.

Todd Strong - Retro-Solutions, LLC

We strive very hard for 100% customer satisfaction before, during,and after sale. As much as we would like to know each customer's wants and needs personally we find it difficult to keep up with all of you! Please be kind and attach previous text for reference in email strings so that we better assist you.

David T. Olson wrote:
    Quick question. D2S bulbs, do they have a wattage rating? I see some things saying yes they do, others saying no it's just the ballast. Thanks!
    So, I'm really going off of his word on the matter. Philips did make a 50 watt bulb the DL50, but they don't make them anymore, so at least bulbs are/were made. I honestly don't know exactly what the criteria is for the wattage rating on a xenon arc discharge bulb is. However, Todd seems to have quite a bit of credibility.

It comes down to Todd's word in the end. I believe him, but even if they are only 35 watt bulbs, the light output is brighter.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Oly, thanks, that does help some. Seems legit, but it seems the HID world is full of half truths, exagerations, tricky marketing, and some outright lies. NOt saying that he's not telling the truth, just that it's hard to tell who is.

The DL50, that's the one that I couldn't think of.

I think I'll send an email to Steve (? I think that's his name) at Xenon Depot with some questions. I've been meaning to get ahold of him anyways.

Either way, you showed that there is a great improvement and that is what I'm after as long as it works and holds up.

Edit: From my post above, just in case it was missed.

One reason I'm also skeptical is because of the "booster" type ballasts that are 35watt and then can boost to 50watt with a switch and they just have a 35watt bulb in them.

My signature

Oly, thanks, that does help some. Seems legit, but it seems the HID world is full of half truths, exagerations, tricky marketing, and some outright lies. NOt saying that he's not telling the truth, just that it's hard to tell who is.

The DL50, that's the one that I couldn't think of.

I think I'll send an email to Steve (? I think that's his name) at Xenon Depot with some questions. I've been meaning to get ahold of him anyways.

Either way, you showed that there is a great improvement and that is what I'm after as long as it works and holds up.

Edit: From my post above, just in case it was missed.

Correct, there are those ballasts that do that. Retro has a ballast that does just that, 35-50 watts, not sure on the details or the bulb though.

The ballasts that came with the kit were nice looking, didn't peek inside, but at least they didn't look like crap!

When you get a chance, could you take a pic of one of the ballast? You've got me all wired to finally get mine done. Now if only work would start picking up.

Yeh, probably better to not open it up if you want it to stay waterproof.

Nick, I generally use the clear combo filters and carry the yellows in the rig. Last surf n turf, it got really foggy one night and the only people who could use their aux lights were those with yellow filters on there lightforces. That was pre HID and they worked great in combo with my low beams. If I were to buy just one filter, it would be the yellow combo filter. The clear combos are nice to have though also.

If you get the 240's you may have to rig up your own light bar on your bumper to get them spaced out enough from your grill. Remember how you had to turn the bottom mount backwards to mount the 170's on your stock bumper? I don't think the 240's come with that low mount and have a longer arm, so you may run into that problem. If you are going to order them from Dick, maybe you can have him put the 240 lens on a 170arm/mount. The only difference between the 240 and 170 mount is the length of the arm. My 240 lens is on a 170 arm/mount for height issues and it works since it hangs in front of the bumper. Hopefully that somewhat understandable.
    My signature

When you get a chance, could you take a pic of one of the ballast? You've got me all wired to finally get mine done. Now if only work would start picking up.
    You got it! Retro has a pic: but it's a bit small. I'll get a better pic tonight for you.

If you get the 240's you may have to rig up your own light bar on your bumper to get them spaced out enough from your grill. Remember how you had to turn the bottom mount backwards to mount the 170's on your stock bumper? I don't think the 240's come with that low mount and have a longer arm, so you may run into that problem. If you are going to order them from Dick, maybe you can have him put the 240 lens on a 170arm/mount. The only difference between the 240 and 170 mount is the length of the arm. My 240 lens is on a 170 arm/mount for height issues and it works since it hangs in front of the bumper. Hopefully that somewhat understandable.
    Thanks for the tip on the combo filters; I never used either, so I wasn't quite sure. I do know about the yellow though - excellent with fog! I do think the yellow filter diffuses (dims) the light a little, but given that the LF lights will be HIDs, I think it'll be way brighter then the halogens, yellow combos or not. I think I can only afford one set, and the yellows are what I'll be going with! Saved me some trouble there, thanks

As for the mount idea, yeah! I do get it actually, I did flip the mounts backwards so that the lights stuck out enough to fit. I didn't think of swapping out the 240 arm/mount for a 170, but that's really a great idea. I'm pretty sure Dick would be up for it. One thing though, your LF lights are mounted onto your lightbar, yeah? I can't really imagine how it would fit onto the stock bumper, or...would that be a non-issue if the 170s with the mount fit perfect...then the 240s using the same arm would fit too? ahhh, I've got to get some measurements off the site and see what I come up with.
    &#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    One thing though, your LF lights are mounted onto your lightbar, yeah? I can't really imagine how it would fit onto the stock bumper, or...would that be a non-issue if the 170s with the mount fit perfect...then the 240s using the same arm would fit too? ahhh, I've got to get some measurements off the site and see what I come up with.
    Nick, I originally had the 170's mounted on my stock bumper so you shouldn't have a problem with the 240's. The rear of them would be in the same spot and since they stick out slightly past the bumper, the height of the arm isn't an issue. The lense clears the bumper. I'll see if I can find some pics to illustrate and pm them to you.

Oly, I was looking around on retrosolutions website and found that they do just sell the 55watt ballasts.
    http://www.retro-solutions.com/55WBAL.html

I found this interesting:

Quote from that link:
    These work with any OEM or aftermarket 35 watt, 50 watt, and 55 watt bulbs.

So it appears that I can just get myself some ballasts and use my existing 35watt bulbs. Also, after searching last night, it seems that possibly the 35watt bulbs may not last quite as long with the 55watt ballasts, but that it wouldn't be shortened by much. This shouldn't make much of a difference since they are aux. lights and are not ran all the time. This may be my next purchase.
    My signature

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast