Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightforce HID upgraded 35 watt HID to 55 watt HID

Re: Lightforce HID upgraded 35 watt HID to 55 watt HID

So, the real question is, do they provide actual 55 watt bulbs?
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Retro's 55watt D2R/S Bulb

Quote from above link:
    For use with 50w, 55w, and adjustable output ballasts only. Use with 35w ballasts will result in damage to bulbs.

Retro's 55watt Conversion Bulbs (H1, H3, etc...)

Quote from above link:
    Not for use with 35w ballast or damage will occur. For use with 50w, 55w or adjustable output ballasts only!

Retro's Adjustable 35watt-55watt HID kit

Quote from above link:
    Adjustable ballasts are recommended for use on our 55 watt bulbs or Philips DL50 bulbs only. Although we have tested our adjustable ballasts to work on OEM and aftermarket 35 watt bulbs without incident, the user assumes all risks from use with 35 watt bulbs.

Kind of confusing, on one hand they say that their 55watt bulbs will not work with a 35watt ballast, but will work on 35watts as long as it is coming from an adjustable ballast. Then they say a 35watt bulb will work with adjustable ballast, but throw in a little disclaimer. The question, are their disclaimers because they think it won't work, or is it so that you will buy their more expensive bulbs?

I'm willing to bet that if any of them are true 50watt (not 55watt), your best bet would be their D2R/S bulbs like you purchased. It seems that they have a good rep as far as customer service and their kits working, so that's good. Either way, I think you got a good deal and I can't wait to upgrade mine to 55watt.
    My signature

Bingo, either way, it seems to be a pretty solid product and I'm very happy with the increased light output.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    Bingo, either way, it seems to be a pretty solid product and I'm very happy with the increased light output.
    Yeah, I just wanted to make sure it was known that I wasn't putting down the retro kits. Just using the info on their site, since I've had a hard time finding that info anywhere, and the HID world is so confusing.

On another note, are your 240s mounted on your stock bumper?
    Edit: nevermind, I just read your sig.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    Yeah, I just wanted to make sure it was known that I wasn't putting down the retro kits. Just using the info on their site, since I've had a hard time finding that info anywhere, and the HID world is so confusing.

On another note, are your 240s mounted on your stock bumper?
    Edit: nevermind, I just read your sig.
    Haha, yup, definitely mounted on my TJM. I don't think the 240's would really fit on a stock bumper! Heck, they barely fit on the TJM!

No worries on the retro kit, I was skeptical too, but at least I know, as well as provided you and anyone else, proof that their '55 watt HID' kit is much brighter than the 35 watt HID, regardless of how they go about it. Now we'll see how the bulb life is...

what's cool is they sell a short bulb H3 kit.... Now I'm thinking about doing my fog lights.......
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Not a bad thought at all. With prices as cheap as they are now-a-days, it doesn't hurt!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123