Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '92 4rnr driveshaft issue....

'92 4rnr driveshaft issue....

Hello to all....

New to this board, but not to Toyotas. I've got two 4rnr's (stock) and have become quite familiar with them. 'Cept this one little problem. If you don't mind, I will just copy/paste from another forum I've asked this question on.

The slip joint on the rear shaft.......when I pulled it off to borrow the u-joint for my '86......had this plastic material in the splines. Plus, on the end of the stub was a plastic cap or bushing. All of it fit up into the yoke. However, when I pulled the yoke off of the slip joint to discover this plastic stuff (so, technical...I know) it all shredded and had to basically cram it in to get it back together. I didn't know what else to do under the circumstances I was in at the time. Needless to say, the driveshaft now vibrates madly at around 45-55mphs. I've greased it up, made sure the front and rear u-joints of the rear shaft were in line with each other, but the yoke just wobbles. My only recourse I know of is to get another entire driveshaft or have that one cut and repair. This is, of course, from the info I get at driveline shops and at the Toy dealership. It seems to me there should be some way to repair it, though. I mean, come on! A entire new shaft because of this?!!! Damn....I'd like to just fix it! If you can find any Toy salvage parts around here, it ain't cheap. And, I am! HAHA!

Now, I have a line on another entire driveshaft in a nearby area that I could have for cheap, but I'm not ready to just toss the one I'm having this problem with. Just seems a waste if I could fix it easily. I don't fully believe the tech at the dealer or the driveline shop because neither sounded fully confident in their assessment. I guess I'm waiting to hear from someone that has actually ran into this problem before.

Thanks

"All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts that are shown before you..."

Re: '92 4rnr driveshaft issue....

I've got a driveshaft for sale from my 93. See my sig line.

I'll go take a look at it tomorrow and see if I can figure out how you could fix yours, though.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Thanks, Robinhood. Just be careful when pulling it off so you don't run into the same fubar I did. I had NO idea the plastic material was in there. My '86 doesn't have it.
    "All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts that are shown before you..."

Anyone else have input?

Hopefully Slosurfer will see this...he has a 2nd gen. I don't know if he has any experience with driveshaft issues, but it's worth a shot.

I've been lucky so far and no driveshaft issues, so I'm as curious as everyone else. How about MarcP, I think he's had driveshaft work done?

Do you have any pics? That might help.
    My signature

Umm...no. Not any pics, yet. I should do that, though. Maybe tomorrow. I have to take a look at the brakes on my '86 here in a minute. I'm getting a lot of "clacking" when stopping and rattling when hitting bumps.<<<<Not an overture for input....at this point..haha!

Thanks everyone
    &quot;All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts that are shown before you...&quot;

Well, I'm not too much help. I looked at mine and if your plastic piece is causing the problem I don't think there's much you can do. Here's mine.

Steve

No, no....you have to pull the yoke entirely off to view the splined stub. I do believe what you're referring to in your pic is the dust sleeve. On mine, that is intact.

Yah mon...I guess I'll have to get some pics, then. Thank you, Robinhood for taking the time. Don't go any further on my account, though. I'm afraid....like I said...if you pull the yoke off you'll have the same problem. <<SHRED!!!>> I doubt your DS will sell in that condition.

BTW, you guys have some groovy icons!!

<<< Too funny...reminds me of the Brawler's.....
    &quot;All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts that are shown before you...&quot;

Oh I've separated mine before with no problems. Pics would be good.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast