Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '92 4rnr driveshaft issue....

Re: '92 4rnr driveshaft issue....

Hmmm....mine had to have been either just aged or damaged from a wreck I had.

Well, I didn't get the pics today. I spent the day repacking front axles bearings and lubing the front end and TRYING to lube the drivelines. Stupid grease guns...PITA to load sometimes. It exploded on me and I lossed all the grease I had. Atleast my skin is soft and supple now...
    "All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts that are shown before you..."

Are you sure that it wasn't just pieces of dry caked on grease? The old driveshaft on the '93 4Runner that I bought had that problem due to lack of greasing (There was play in the slip yoke and when I took it apart to clean it, the grease that was left in there was pretty hard. I bought a used driveshaft from a manual tranny 4Runner (mine's an auto), cut the slip yoke off of the used shaft, and welded it on my shaft to replace my old slip yoke. The truck is now vibration free. The driveline shop should be able to do that for you if your replacement shaft that you're looking at getting isn't exactly the same as your stock one.
    2002 4Runner, Auto-A340F, 3.4L, 4.30 Gears<br />TJM T15 Front Bumper &amp; Warn M8000, 4xInnovation sliders, Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift, Toytec LCA Skids, Tundra Brake Upgrade (231mm), Extended rear diff breather,&nbsp; Deckplate Mod, Andymod, Dual batt setup with Optima blue top aux battery, Hardwired 1000W inverter, Aux fuse box, Full time power to 12V plugs, Yaesu FT7800R Radio, &quot;4-air&quot; system for airing up/down tires.<br /><br />2004 Camry LE - stock (and will stay that way)<br /><br />1993 4Runner has been sold

Hello GS! How the hell are ya?

Pretty damn sure it's plastic. I've got another DS lined up for $5 and shipping, but I'll make double sure before I pay and have it sent. It really seems like plastic, though.
    &quot;All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts that are shown before you...&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by thook
    Hello GS! How the hell are ya?

Pretty damn sure it's plastic. I've got another DS lined up for $5 and shipping, but I'll make double sure before I pay and have it sent. It really seems like plastic, though.
    Hey. I'm doing well. It could be plastic, but I don't remember seeing any plastic pieces when I took mine apart, that's all (although it's been 6 months or so). So you are saying the small bits of plastic were in the splines themselves?
    2002 4Runner, Auto-A340F, 3.4L, 4.30 Gears<br />TJM T15 Front Bumper &amp; Warn M8000, 4xInnovation sliders, Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift, Toytec LCA Skids, Tundra Brake Upgrade (231mm), Extended rear diff breather,&nbsp; Deckplate Mod, Andymod, Dual batt setup with Optima blue top aux battery, Hardwired 1000W inverter, Aux fuse box, Full time power to 12V plugs, Yaesu FT7800R Radio, &quot;4-air&quot; system for airing up/down tires.<br /><br />2004 Camry LE - stock (and will stay that way)<br /><br />1993 4Runner has been sold

Yeah. But, they seemed to be a part of a plastic bushing set on the very end/tip of the spline shaft. A toyota tech suggested that it may be some sort of impact bushing. Thing is, no one I've asked about this really has a clue of what I'm describing. Like no one has ever seen this. Which I find strange given that the one dude works at toyota and everyone on this forum and others has them and works on them.

I dunno. It's been raining here the past few days. Hopefully tomorrow I can take another really good look at it.
    &quot;All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts that are shown before you...&quot;

I have had the d-shafts apart on my '84 numerous times, some on prupose, some not, never seen a plastic bushing of any sort in there. Could be a cap that came on the end of the splies if that d-shaft has ever been replaced... much like that you see on the end of a CV when you purchase one....

But you are saying that WITHOUT the plastic now your d-shaft wobbles a lot?
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I also have never heard of this on a Toy DS. But I just cut up a Camaro shaft to make a hybrid GM to Toy Shaft and it had another tube inside packed with rubber around it and a rubber cap about 1 foot from the front u-joint. I will discard this crap and balance it, without it.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    I have had the d-shafts apart on my '84 numerous times, some on prupose, some not, never seen a plastic bushing of any sort in there. Could be a cap that came on the end of the splies if that d-shaft has ever been replaced... much like that you see on the end of a CV when you purchase one....

But you are saying that WITHOUT the plastic now your d-shaft wobbles a lot?
    This driveshaft has never been replaced. I received the vehicle from the original ownder who had a complete history of repairs on it.

My '86 doesn't have this plastic crap on it, either. And, yes...now with it all fubard it wobbles. It fits too loose.

Engh....I'll have another look at it tomorrow and report back.

Well, well.....

As it turns out, I finally talked to someone who knows what I'm looking at. A buddy of mine that works on all kinds of vehicles has seen this on some Fords and 1tons that he's worked on. Not on Yotas, though. He has an '89 xtra cab, but doesn't work on very many in the shop. Anyway, it's like a teflon coating, as he puts it. He's not really sure why it's put on there.....possibly to help gliding action and impact. It's like they dip the spline shaft in this coating and it's not really repairable. Atleast not feasibly considering finding another DS is just as easy and less expensive.

So, a new DS it is. Now if I can get Cory Colson to call me back! Where are you sucka???!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12