Thread: High Dynamic Range (HDR) - Picture

High Dynamic Range (HDR) - Picture

So, I've been messing around with creating some high-dynamic-range images using multiple exposures for the fun of it. Some of my pictures have very dark shadows and bright highlights, and it's impossible to capture all of the information in one exposure. SO I'm trying out HDR to get the effect I'm looking for.

For example:

In this picture, the vehicle is exposed correctly, but the sky is completely blown out, and the shadows are very dark and contain little information. To help the picture out, I take two additional pictures, one purposely underexposed to capture highlights, and one purposely overexposed to capture shadows. Then I combine the best parts of all 3 in photo editing software to get the picture I want.

Underexposed:

Overexposed:

Final combined picture:

HDR photos will tend to have a bit of an unnatural look to them purposely; mainly because our brains are used to seeing a certain amount of information in a picture. Here I've regained a lot of detail from the tire tread, wheel wells, and undercarriage, and at the same time have great detail in the sky with the dramatic clouds and stuff. What do you think?

Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: High Dynamic Range (HDR) - Picture

Very nice, HDR using photoshop (CS3 or CS2?). That photo actually looks quite appealing, it's not way overboard. The clouds add a much more dramatic look to it. Well done!

I've done my fair share and where they really shine is getting that silky smooth water in rivers.

[img width=532 height=800]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/oly884/Photography/UntitledHDR00Custom.jpg[/img]

All done using the merge to HDR in photoshop. I have yet to do any more, but I'm glad you got this going again!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Cool pics, both of you.
    My signature

Wow..nice images
    Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

With people it' a little tougher....

[img width=800 height=532]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/relicsred/l_1.jpg[/img]

Some very nice shots up above mine! It's really late so I can't think.
    &#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick

Wow, that looks pretty amazing. Can you explain how you got these results? I am familiar with HDR photos but I have never owned a camera capable of capturing the colors in the foreground that appear in this photo.

cool shots guys.

yeah i like hdr a lot, it makes for some rad pics.
    i have a few up on my site here http://charlesrubinoff.com/work/photography/

i need to get out and shoot some more!

what are you all using to make the HDRs? i know you can use photoshop cs3, but i think photomatix pro gives better results.

looks like i need to NOT buy another point and shoot camera this time.

awesome guys!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

From the quick search I did on HDR photos, you can get decent results with any camera that has adjustable exposure settings--even P&S cameras have that.