Thread: Proposed roof rack mod - thoughts?

Proposed roof rack mod - thoughts?

The plastic trim pieces on the roof of my 96 4Runner are faded and cracked, so I'm thinking of replacing them. I don't have the factory roof rack. I thought that instead of springing for new plastic that isn't useful, I'd replace them with a piece of C-channel aluminum. I'd cut the channel to the same length, bob and grind the ends, cross drill about 15 times to create tie-offs, paint black, and cover underside with thin rubber and then use the factory screws to attach it to the car again. Thoughts? I imagine this post is useless without pics. I'll scan a sketch later.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

Re: Proposed roof rack mod - thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Small_words
    Thoughts? I imagine this post is useless without pics. I'll scan a sketch later.

How big of C channel are you thinking?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

erik,

depends on what you plan to do with it. my biggest concern is that everything you build after that will need to be custom built.

to find roof rack rails at a junkyard is not difficult. i have a local JY that i visit and i see 4runners there all the time. next time im there, i can have a look see for you if you'd like, but dont hold your breath b/c i wont be able to go until the end of next month.

bob

I was thinking 1" wide, 3/4" deep, about 3' long. I haven't measured the existing piece and I'd make it the same length. I have a Yakima rack and so don't want to interfere with it of course. I'll get on the pics.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

I think you could also use the hardware from a JY minivan as well. I think Reggie00 has rails from a van on his 2nd gen 4runner.
    My signature

I do.
    Parts from three different ones actually.
    I just cut them to size and painted them.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Reggie, do you have any pics? I'm pretty curious

&#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Thanks Hoss