Thread: Propane stove, match start or button start?

Propane stove, match start or button start?

Looking at picking up a new Coleman propane stove tomorrow. I'm trying to decide between a match start stove or Colemans Instastart stove. Exact same stove, just two choices.

Anyone know the durability of the Instastart system? Am I going to have the system break easily and have to rely on using matches, making it a mute point to begin with?

Both have pros, both have cons.

Push button, no matches!

Button breaks, no matches, no good

Forget matches with no push button, no good

Matches get wet, don't start, no good

Too windy to keep matches lit, again, no good

I'm kinda torn. It would be nice to not need to rely on matches, but your placing your trust into a breakable system, at 20.00 more that could go towards other stove accessories.

Not sure how much traffic this thread will see between now and somepoint tomorrow but any info or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

Re: Propane stove, match start or button start?

cant you use a match with the pushbutton start stove?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Get the match start and throw in one of those bic firestarter things. I have one that I just keep inside my stove, so it's there when I open it. I also have matches in my gear, if that thing stops working.

I've never had a BBQ or stove that had those clicker starters that outlasted the stove. Always had to resort to another form of ignition down the road.
    My signature

WOW! They make stoves with pushbuttons ? I am impressed. I would still have to go with my trusty 3 fuel two burner, match light, pumper. Or the whisper light for light trips (also match light).

Match. Those buttons never last.

But either way you should always have a lighter and matches with you for basic survival equipment.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

waterproof matches!!!

i carry a flint sparker(brand???) that does well in the rain and wind doesnt affect it. would be difficult in long reach applications.
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

Get the push button. I've got one that's going on 15 years and it still works. It's always a good idea to bring a couple of back up sources as well. I've always got a lighter or 2 in the truck and one in my gear. I also like the sparklights and the old magnesium and striker.