Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New hardware-need advice

Re: New hardware-need advice

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    Thanks Gents. Good advice all around. I will be looking into those things.

I agree that it is silly to have something so light except to carry, and that one shot had better be sufficent.

However, I suck with a handgun, and thus need to practice so that if the situation ever arose, I could hit something with one shot, even if I was excited or panicked. So I practice.

I hope to never have a situation arise where this is needed. Its there if something does.

When backpacking, you feel every ounce. Lighter is definitely better.
    In the case of backpacking, I couldn't agree more, every ounce counts. I don't think it's silly in the least bit, it's just preference. I'd sacrifice some weight to carry something a bit more manageable. For me, the recoil is felt a bit more considering I'm 5'8" and a whopping 140 lbs.

I'd carry my glock 20 or 29, possibly my mossberg 500 with the pistol grip depending on what I was concerned about (bear, cougar, dogs, people)

My 29 weighs in at almost 25oz empty and I can have 10+1 of some pretty hot loads (200 grns at ~1250 fps). Not 44 mag territory by any means, but if I can get 2 shots off in the time it would take me to get one off with a 44 mag, then I'd be more comfortable with my 29.

Once again, it's all preference and what you are comfortable with.

The key to any firearm is proficiency. I can get a 500 S&W, but if I can't hit the side of a bar with it, it won't do much good at all.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

However, I suck with a handgun, and thus need to practice so that if the situation ever arose, I could hit something with one shot, even if I was excited or panicked. So I practice.
    buy a reloading press and make up some light loads to practice with.... 44 mag is simply over kill.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS

buy a reloading press and make up some light loads to practice with.... 44 mag is simply over kill.
    +1

A simple reloading press is a great thing to have, you can spend around $300 or so and get the press, dies, and all the various tools to go along with it.

Me, well, I'm saving up for this:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...d/1/Super_1050

I have ~ 4000 .223 cases awaiting attention
    ~1000 10mm rounds
    and a couple hundred 300 win mag and 300 weatherby loads to do.

Right now I have an RCBS turret press which is great, but nothing beats a progressive reloader.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

David, I don't know of any all black guns that shoot 300 WBY, have you been broadening your horizons?

Isaac, which one is it exactly? I couldn't find a 44 that matched that weight. Better yet, wave it at me and I will look south.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    David, I don't know of any all black guns that shoot 300 WBY, have you been broadening your horizons?
    Haha, yup, that I have! I have recently picked up a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight. Blue spiderweb stock, and a stainless fluted barrel.

That is a sweet piece, but must be a handful, they are superlight, like 6-7 pounds, right?

Good work.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

With the scope, I'm about 7.5 lbs.

20 rounds at the range and I'm done. I also wake up with my shoulder looking a few shades of purple in places.

I'm working on some loads right now, but the sweet one thus far is the 180 grn. Barnes TSX's @ 3200 fps.

Again, thanks for the help.

Soft grip plus uber cheap solution of wearing fingerless biking gloves made things much better.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Isaac, which one is it exactly? I couldn't find a 44 that matched that weight. Better yet, wave it at me and I will look south.
    S&W Air Light PD. Model is 329PD.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews103555.html

-I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Beautiful gun you have there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast