Thread: Mud flap/guard mod

Mud flap/guard mod

I have the SR5 medium fender flares (the grey ones) and the mud flap/guard is hard plastic. I have been beating them up while in the rocks and wondered if anyone has modified them. When I drive over a good sized rock the rock will push up and into the guard. If it's a small rock it'll scuff it up real good. If it's a bigger rock it pushes up which pushes up in the fender flare. After a weekend in the rocks I noticed 3 of the fender flares that needed "adjustment" and 4 roughed up guards. The mounting holes for the guards and flares are not very strong and I don't think they survive more abuse. I'd like to keep the guards as they protect the body and paint very well.

I was thinking about cutting the bottom portion of the guards off and screwing or riveting in rubber that extends down to the level of the old rigid piece. Has anyone done this? I'm wondering if it's worthwhile and how it looked. I purchased the front guards when I took the running boards off. They were kind of expensive to be cutting into and making them look messed up.

I have this 4runner, except for the auto (5 speed), same color, fender flares and mud guards.
    http://www.top4runners.com/cgi-bin/i...99in2007_8.jpg

Re: Mud flap/guard mod

I think a lot of people are using Tacoma mud flaps....

Talk to Rock_solid. I sold him my mudflaps, see how he did it.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: Mud flap/guard mod

I like the ones I have because they are somewhat rigid and match the flares. I'll search around.