Thread: Improving your gas mileage (on-going thread)

Improving your gas mileage (on-going thread)

Alright guys and gals, let's hear it. What do you do to boost mileage. Any products you suggest (exhaust, intake, etc) that has resulted in increased mileage?

How about techniques that most don't know about or use. We all know about driving, breaking, and accelerating slower, but are is there something you do that makes a big difference?

Quick tune-ups, what would you target for boosting mileage?
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Re: Improving your gas mileage (on-going thread)

Coasting can make a huge difference. Plus it gets you in the habit of really watching far in front of you. I'll start coasting 1/2 mile from a red light if I can see the cars are already piled up 20 deep.

Since I got in the habit I notice how often my wife is on the gas right up till she hits the brakes. Very wasteful, but she still gets 30mpg out of her xB somehow.
    Brian

I try not to be in a hurry. This allows me to coast or drive the speed limit. I'm never really in a hurry and I can get 18mpg consistantly with mixed driving. My wife on the other hand uses the gas and brakes a lot.

I've been going over my gas mileage data (3 years worth) and these are the steps I'm currently taking to improve my gas mileage.

Removed Thule MOAB roof rack
    Increased tire pressure from 35psi to 42psi

I also have plans for this winter, based on some correlations made from winter gas mileage compared to Heating Degree Days data.

I'll be installing a block and transmission heater
    Replacing drive train fluid with lower viscosity, higher grade lubricant (Royal Purple or Amsoil)
    Purchasing narrower tires 235/85 R16's

I have a documented drop of 1.1 mpg from just the roof rack alone. The tire pressure should help some. I see the most significant drop in mileage each winter due to warm-up idling and 4x4 use so I have high hopes that I can bring that seasons mileage up significantly.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Uppping the tire pressure from 35 to 39 front and 43 in the rears has done wonders, truck coasts really.

I also removed all drag, my toolbox is low pro, I dont carry a thing in the bed either.

I take off slowly and coast as well, less skiny pedal less gas wasted.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

accelerate slowly, shift around 2000 rpm instead of my usual 2500-3000 rpm

still trying to train myself to coast more, i always forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870

Purchasing narrower tires 235/85 R16's
    FWIW that's the size tire I ran on my 97 (3rz) and I found the ride a bit harsh. Going from stock 225/75/15 to those without regearing I found my MPG's stayed about the same. I saw on avg 17 around town and 22-23 easy on the highway. When I started my mild hypermiling with lots of coasting I was able to get 20ish around town. And when I say the ride was a bit harsh, I still kept those wheels/tires when I sold the 97, they are on the 85 now.
    Brian

Keeping the vehicles in tune is crucial, but I've also been keeping the tire press. up. I've always, always done a lot of coasting especially with all the hills we have here. Accelerate as slow as possible. Try to avoid starting out on hills...like taking a detour to miss the traffic light or stop sign, if not too far out of the way. (I usually haul some weight, so that helps the clutch, too). Less aggressive tire tread than M/T's. Staying below 60mph on the highway. Interestingly, I've also found going a little slower than the speed limit in town helps coupled with the coasting idea. Less gas is used over going the limit or faster only to have to quickly stop for another vehicle or only to come to a red light, anyway. One of the most noticeable differences I made was filling up before the gauge registers below 3qtrs of a tank. And, when I do fill up, I pump the gas real slow. This all has to do with vaporization from low fuel volume and setting off the gas pump cut off before the tank is actually full. This little trick has given me atleast a 2-3mpg difference alone.

BTW, all of this is with stock set ups on all my vehicles. Well, except for tire size. One size up on two of them and two sizes up on one. For example, my '86 4rnr/22re has 31's and getting 19-20 mixed driving.
    &quot;All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts that are shown before you...&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by tulsa_sr5

FWIW that's the size tire I ran on my 97 (3rz) and I found the ride a bit harsh. Going from stock 225/75/15 to those without regearing I found my MPG's stayed about the same. I saw on avg 17 around town and 22-23 easy on the highway. When I started my mild hypermiling with lots of coasting I was able to get 20ish around town. And when I say the ride was a bit harsh, I still kept those wheels/tires when I sold the 97, they are on the 85 now.
    My stock tire size is 265/70 R16, so I will see a slight increase in diameter, but I'm hoping to reduce rolling resistance enough to still see a slight gain in MPG. The main reason I'm going narrower is to improve handling during winter weather. I currently run the same sized studs and I can break them loose whenever I want, even wet pavement. I have to run almost 200lbs of sand to keep traction during slick weather. My goal is to reduce rolling resistance while increasing PSI where the rubber meets the road by going to the 235's.

thook,

I'm interested in hearing more about how your pumping method increases your MPG. What is benificial by pumping slower and more often?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I dont drive the 4-Runner, as a daily, that saves $$$.. As far as the other rigs, I keep the tires over pressured, the engine tuned, and not so heavy on the pedal. This saves me about 3-4 mpg on my truck and 1-2 mpg on the wifes Jeep (women drivers).