Thread: AT&T Tilt anyone?

AT&T Tilt anyone?

Greetings all,

I've been thinking of purchasing one of the new smartphones, particularly the Tilt offered by AT&T. Why do I need one? Well, mostly for viewing Word docs and Powerpoints and for additional apps that would be relevant to school. Also, I like the idea of having all that plus a media player, phone, Wi-Fi all in one. For those of you who use or are familiar with them, what are your opinions on this unit or any other? Thanks in advance!

Ed

Clumsy jesting is no joke.

Re: AT&T Tilt anyone?

I've got one and would love to write you a review (Sunday!), one question before though; how keen are you with computers and the type? Are you willing to tinker and tweak or do you want everything running from the get go?
    '96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Thanks for the response, Nick. As for my computer abilities, I would say 6-7 out of 10. I had a Palm and was able to sync new programs usually without difficulty. I've been visiting this tiltsite.com for some info and some of what they talk about is pretty intimidating. If I were to get one, I would definitely want to make adjustments to it by using downloaded apps like kaiser tweak to make it more user friendly and maybe one of those cool homepage programs, but am a bit cautious about getting too deep into changes that it screws the whole thing up (bricking, I think they call it). So in summary, minor tinkering and tweaking if it isn't too inolved. How much do you like yours and what kind of changes have you made?

I have one and I love it. Web surfing and my gmail, games, messaging, pictures, videos, music...and I love sitting it on the desk and using the "tilt" feature. I've gotten pretty good typing on the keyboard, but use the stylus and touchpad some too. Some very cool free programs for Windows Mobile 6.0 My favorite is a "call firewall" program.

I got a 4 MB sim card for mine and a $100 rebate when I bought it. Battery life is okay but you can charge it off any computer USB cord or the car charger. Mine is usually dying by the end of the day but I use it A LOT! Simple to plug it into my computer or car.

There are a LOT of features on it that I'm sure I will never figure out or use, but it has the ones I wanted so I got it.

I give it an A.

Ugh, Windows Mobile. I had the predecessor to the Tilt, the 8525. It ran WM6 too, and I picked up that phone after a couple of my coworkers got one. I had high hopes for it, and it does have some cool features, but Windows Mobile just sucks. It'd crash often, ran slow, and it's just inefficient. The phone itself too, I had hardware problems (wouldn't turn/stay on, screen broke) a couple times.

I finally moved up to a Blackberry Curve.

The BB OS is a million times better than anything Windows Mobile, and the phone itself too, I like it much more. No touchscreen unfortunately, but the trackball is cool and works really well.

I agree with Charles. I have even an older version of it, the 8125. Its alright, but it is slow as hell and I often have to restart it to get it going again. If I wasnt such a cheap bastard I would buy a new phone. But nah, i'll wait til I can renew my contract and get a discount.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

I've often read about disappointments with Windows Mobile, but on the other hand many who've not had problems. To each their own preferences I guess. Can the Blackberry run Office apps?

Mr. Wabbit, have you made any mods to yours such as new homepage software to make it more user friendly? I've read that the "stock" homepage is a bit overwhelming.

Blackberries and Palms should both have a file viewer to view word, excel, or power point docs and they both have much better OS's. Even as slow as my Nokia can be I'd rather use the Symbian OS that Windows Mobile.
    95 4Runner- 3.0- A/T- 4.88's- MC rear bumper- Downey skid plate- BJ spacers- LC coils- 32" BFG A/T's- FROR front bumper and frame brace on the way

Quote Originally Posted by cornrunner
    Mr. Wabbit, have you made any mods to yours such as new homepage software to make it more user friendly? I've read that the "stock" homepage is a bit overwhelming.
    You can customize it however you want it...have the applications on the "today" page that you want and the apps in the start menu as well. I am not a cell phone guru by any means and I figured it out.