Thread: High zoom cameras

High zoom cameras

I might be in the market for a camera a little better than the typical PS but not quite a DSLR. Something like the Sony DSC-H50 and the Nikon Coolpix P80. What do you guys think of these two cameras and of these two, which would you pick? On paper I like the sony because it it's capable of 30 second exposures, tilt screen, and Zeiss glass. The nikon has a little better zoom (18X), and the menu interface is better.

Any other cameras in this category I should be looking at? Other than optical zoom, what features should I be looking for?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: High zoom cameras

i dont like sony because it only uses memory stick, and would be the ONLY thing in my gadget bag that would use it. if you have other sony memory stick products, then i say go for the sony. for me i have much more use for SD cards, and therefore will try to stick with those.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: High zoom cameras

I agree with Sean on the "memory stick". Find out what the Canon equivilant is to the Nikon and test them both. See which feels better in your hands, shooting, etc.... Generally those two brands are very good and it usually just comes down to which one feels more comfortable to you.

Personally, I would go with the Canon EOS Rebel, it's not much bigger than that Nikon and much more versatile. April has one, I've used it a couple times, and it works very good on the auto setting so you don't have to be intimidated by the DSLR.
    My signature