Thread: oil cooler -AN fitting question

oil cooler -AN fitting question

just a simple question on AN fittings - I'm looking to install an oil cooler and found a few kits online with the oil filter sandwich adapter, hose and fittings. however the hose lengths are all too long and I'm not keen on just coiling up the hose and tying it out of the way. so I need to cut down the hose length. I know about wrapping the steel braid with tape and using a cutting wheel (dremel) to cut through the braid to prevent fraying the shield. the real question is are AN fittings like the one below re-usable. It looks like the red collar is tightened to the fitting and is used to clamp the hose to the fitting, is this correct?

this is the kit I'm looking at, the description says it comes with (2) 57" hoses but the longest one I need is ~ 42"

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: oil cooler -AN fitting question

I cant give you a positive, but all the ones I have dealt with are reusable. Every company makes there own type of AN screw on fitting that fits a particular hose. You would think a standardized fitting would have the same hose. If you knew the manufacturer of the fittings then I could say more.

AFAIK, -AN fitings are reusable and are not one-time use. For what they cost, they'd better be reusable...
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I did a bit more research and found this link in the item description of an Earl's fitting on Summit

AN fitting tips

looks like I'll be able to shorten the hoses for a nice install
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread