Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1990 4runner soild axle swap

1990 4runner soild axle swap

I just got a 1990 4runner and i'm think about a soild axle swap. whats a good kit and were do you get an axle.

Re: 1990 4runner soild axle swap

Trail gear and AllPro both make good kits, as for an axle Id check your local junk yards or craigslist...

You should probably do a little research before you jump into it. I would start by searching this site and the Pirate4x4 site. There is a wealth of info out there. Once you have done the searching then there are plenty to help you out.

You will need a axle with matching gears (1985 is the best).
    Welder and cutting tools (and the ability to use them).
    A hanger kit (or fabricate the stuff).
    Cross-over steering or go backwards and go to push-pull steering (not good).
    New shocks and shock mounts (hoops).

I am sure this group will add more, and probably try and talk you out of it.

research is key.

the trail-gear kit is the most complete one out there... but the kit itself isnt like a bolt-on, easy kit... it requires you to have some actual knowledge of what youre doing and why.

so make sure you do the research, check out my build too, i kept some decent pics of progress, but pirate has an insane amount of info in the faq.

a good way to start research/reading is to take the trail gear kit's parts list and do searches on pirate to find out more info on why you need to do certain things, and learn from others experience on what to/not to do with that part. good luck.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

thanks i'll look in to it

Heres one. With rotors, hy-steer, flip kit, shocks, spacers brake lines, and a good name.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...t_c_100-1.html

thats the marlin kit. its 400 more dollars for a few less parts than what tg offers
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    thats the marlin kit. its 400 more dollars for a few less parts than what tg offers
    Shhhhhhh!

Yeah, but you're buying from a great company...one who's honest and gives excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by JnJ
    Yeah, but you're buying from a great company...one who's honest and gives excellent customer service.
    are you being serious?? tg has amazing customer service... marlin? heck no. marlin simply cant handle their volume, and they do nothing to change that they have no inventory. call them to find out if they have what you want in stock, chances are they dont, and theyll say it's gonna be a few months.

they have awesome products (got my dual adapter from them) but their cust service has me avoiding them.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast