Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1990 4runner soild axle swap

Re: 1990 4runner soild axle swap

There's a huge difference between not being able to keep up with demand and bad customer service.

I just stopped by there Friday on my way up to Coyote Lake, it was 4pm (closing time), and they still helped me out and filled my co2 tank, not to mention they gave me a deal on a shift knob (looks bitchin' in the van).
    My signature

I have been to Marlins shop, and if you can wade through the bones of old t-cases, then you can get to the stock shelf. When I went to t-case gears (#416) I was amazed he was in business. I must admit he is the guru, and worth any effort. With the technology today, and all the wonderful toy stuff. I would go with whats cheapest.

Just trying to promote buds from AZ, trying to do the good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    There's a huge difference between not being able to keep up with demand and bad customer service.

I just stopped by there Friday on my way up to Coyote Lake, it was 4pm (closing time), and they still helped me out and filled my co2 tank, not to mention they gave me a deal on a shift knob (looks bitchin' in the van).
    of course theres a difference... but i have experienced problems with BOTH.

namely they were 7 weeks late on delivery (i had to remind them 3 times) on an xmember. when it arrived, it was USED and incomplete. in addition, i have bought a few things (they took my money) and i had to call when i didnt hear anything in the next few days to ask the status to find out they have known they were out of the product but had no problem taking my money until i called ask... i dont mean that as in "they tried to steal my money", no certainly not. i was refunded immediately. but (i dont know if this is just me) when i place a large priced order on the internet for a part i need and the money is removed from my account, i consider the matter closed and gain comfort that it is taken care of and on its way to me... to have to follow up to ask for my money back was a downer.

again im not trying to bash them, i love marlin's products, i am just disappointed and dont want to see others suffer the same fate.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

I am sure whatever kit he gets, we will be able to help him out. Personally there is no better customer service than yourself. I would make almost everything, and cut out the manufacturer.

now if i only knew how to weld.....

im learning that soon though
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Navigator

Im fairly new to Yota's myself, but iv done a LOT of reading on SAS swaps... First of all, why do you want to SAS? is it just cuz thats what all the cool people do? or do you actually out-wheel your ifs? The IFS rigs can actually wheel some pretty insane stuff with a well setup rear end...

Do you already have armor, lockers front/rear, sways disconnected, diffs regeared, reduction box? That stuff is worth a LOT off road, and your rig will probably do more than you thought possible with IFS.

Thing about a good SAS swap, to do it well, youre looking at spending probably $4000 dollars. Yes you can do a swap for $1500, but that wont include rebuilding the axle, new gears, lockers, lifting the rear end to match, and thats assuming you have the skills to do it mostly yourself... An SAS is not cheap, nor for the faint of fab skills to attempt.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

im no expert but if you find yourself wanting to lock your front end or you want some huge lift, then your a candidate for sas. the ifs will not hold up to mistreatment when its locked. im good with my ifs for now as well. the places i cant go are really insane trails that break anything you throw at them.

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    im no expert but if you find yourself wanting to lock your front end or you want some huge lift, then your a candidate for sas. the ifs will not hold up to mistreatment when its locked. im good with my ifs for now as well. the places i cant go are really insane trails that break anything you throw at them.
    I agree the IFS isnt that strong, but it will take a locker ok. And if you want a big lift, SAS is your only option... To keep your IFS still flexing, the most you can really lift is 3"... Im just saying, that for the money, Unless you are building a dedicated rock crawling rig, lockers (even autolockers which are quite cheap), sliders, and gears are a much better investment... Im just relaying all the info i have come across in my hours and hours of reading on Yotatech... Most people think they need an SAS to do fire roads... lol
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    Im just relaying all the info i have come across in my hours and hours of reading on Yotatech
    I think you need to read other places, to get a real idea on what people do with thier solid axles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12