Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: York for the 3.4 liter

Re: York for the 3.4 liter

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    What compressor do you use? I had a York 210 with 9 gallon tank on my Chevy. I was totally spoiled and am glad someone came out with something for the 4runner. One problem is that the engine compartment is way smaller so it might get cramped.
    I am running the Harrison rotary AC compressor in mine, 5 gal storage. It works great, and it is the stock model for my 4.3. I am unsure of an exact CFM, but it fills my 36x12.5 tires in under a minute. I have it adjusted to 130 psi with a 40psi differential. I am sure its around 6 CFM cause it runs my die grinder fine.

I also have a CO2 tank, but I think I will leave that heavy thing at home now. I didn't spend the money on a powertank, I just bought a #10 aluminum tank, and a regulator, much cheaper. Good thing about CO2 is that the CFM is there right up till its empty.

I had access to a CO2 setup but passed on buying it because it was around $20 to fill. I didn't realize you had a 4.3. The oasis models are nice but they're pretty big and very expensive. Because they're electric and a York you can't put them under the hood of most vehicles. As such you've got to find room else where and for me that means it'll be in the way.

I had access to a CO2 setup but passed on buying it because it was around $20 to fill. I didn't realize you had a 4.3. The oasis models are nice but they're pretty big and very expensive. Because they're electric and a York you can't put them under the hood of most vehicles. As such you've got to find room else where and for me that means it'll be in the way.
    true, and I know that here, the ExtremeOutback is slow, very slow, and once you get to elevation, forget it, lol. the Oasis is CO2 fast, even at 6K feet, it was as fast as CO2, like you said, its BIG, oh, and iy has to be mounted upright, which means limited mounting places, unless you have a tacoma, just mount it in the bed.
    BTW, it cost me $12 to fill my 20# CO2
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    true, and I know that here, the ExtremeOutback is slow, very slow, and once you get to elevation, forget it, lol. the Oasis is CO2 fast, even at 6K feet, it was as fast as CO2, like you said, its BIG, oh, and iy has to be mounted upright, which means limited mounting places, unless you have a tacoma, just mount it in the bed.
    BTW, it cost me $12 to fill my 20# CO2
    I've read the Oasis can pull around 200 amps at like 50 psi.

Ok so I started gathering parts. Like I said I've done this before so I knew where to go and what to get. I'm making some upgrades but trying to keep the costs reasonable. First the compressor (blurry as it was super bright in my garage).

It's your standard York 210 with v belt pulley. It weighs about 15 pounds (per York's manual) and had the discharge port on the passenger side as it is mounted in the vehicle. It comes bare aluminum and a little dirty. I spent some time cleaning it up and bombed it with some gloss black.

I didn't get any before pictures but I modified the suction/discharge flanges. They were the factory AC type with off sized threads. I chopped off the threaded portion and tapped them to 3/8" NPT. I decided to go this route because it was free (had the tap from a different project) and I didn't have to give any money to Kilby. 3/8" is enough for me but it's also the limit for the flange. 1/2" would probably split it or make it really weak.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-11-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Next was a trip to the Air Tool Store. They are a little place in town. Way over priced for most things they sell but they'll have what you need.

I got some extra brass as I forgot what pieces I had at home. I think I'm going to build my manifold with T's but we'll see how much room there is. I'm still waiting on the bracket so until then I don't know how much room I'm working with. I needed a blow off valve because I don't want this thing blowing up or melting into a lump. A one way valve is necessary because the compressor will leak air. I will place it right before the manifold. You don't want it real close to the compressor of the air could melt the plastic disk that makes the one way seal. The pressure switch is one I yanked off my MV-50, it's just for show right now. I've ordered a Viair HD model that has a 20 amp rating and the pressure cut off I want. The steel braided piece is a part I couldn't do with out. Plans are to mount it onto the discharge flange. My last setup had 3/8" hose coming off the flange. This was fine but I always thought it was going to blow because the air coming out of the compressor is really hot. This bad boy is really beefy and looks as if it'll hold up.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-11-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Be interested to see this all said and done.
    On Board Air would be sooo sweet.

Here's a top shot.

I got the flanges all cleaned up and mounted with stainless bolts. The ones I had on my last one were black oxidize and would rust. I'm not sure why because the engine compartment was always dry for the most part but at least warm. The tops and even the threads were rusty. Anyways, I was at ACE so I picked these up. The flanges have front ports for their factory purpose. If I had access to a welder I'd lop them off and fill them in but until then they'll stay. I'll try to dig up some photos of my other ones. I wish I still had them, but I digress. The filter is an industrial type until that will not melt and has a replaceable paper filter element. I've got the same one on my home compressor and the filter looks brand new after years of use.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-11-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Be interested to see this all said and done.
    On Board Air would be sooo sweet.
    Dude are you up late or up early? I'm ready for bed but just wanted to get his finished.

Ok, here's the side shot.

Just need the bracket now to get things moving along. Only other thing is power. I think I may run the switch into the cab but we'll see. I don't want to clutter everything up in their with a lot of switches but I think it'll already be cramped under the hood. Working on a tank idea but have to do some crawling around underneath. I don't want anything too big and want to keep it out of the cargo area.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-11-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast