Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: York for the 3.4 liter

Re: York for the 3.4 liter

Its a monster, but a great compressor. Put a guage in your dash, so your never left wondering what the York is doing. Are you running storage ?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Be interested to see this all said and done.
    On Board Air would be sooo sweet.
    Up late.
    don't know why, just am lol!
    Dude are you up late or up early? I'm ready for bed but just wanted to get his finished.

Yeah there will be storage. At this point I'm not sure where or how much. I have a spare under the 4runner and would like to keep it there. Other than that there isn't a lot of room, at least for anything over a couple of gallons. At first glance I did notice that behind the factory bumper there is a lot of void space (for a reason) but a tank could fit in there easily. Without ripping everything apart right now I wonder how much space is in the drive side cargo area behind the plastic. I guess I can search for Bruce's inverter thread.

I woke up early to get a start on a few things. First was running a wire through the firewall to the compressor location. I wanted to keep this clean so I ran it along side the 8 gage wire I have for my aux fuse box. My hopes are to keep everything sealed so I don't have moisture getting into the cab from the hole in the rubber grommet in the fire wall.

I think I'm going to put the switch here but still have to figure out which switch I'm going to run. I want to make sure before I start cutting holes.

The smaller spot on the left.

Next was the manifold. I found a place I'd like to have it but I'm not sure. Here it is laid out after measurements were made.

Next was putting it together. It's kind of a pain in the ass because I want it to look nice and the brass is soft and the teflon tape kept on freying.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-11-2013 at 11:15 AM.

I think I'm going to put the switch here but still have to figure out which switch I'm going to run. I want to make sure before I start cutting holes.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/DSC06325.jpg[/img]
    You might be able to find a factory switch that fits that spot perfectly, just a matter of blacking out the original words on it -- a possibility might be the "Deck Light" switch from teh 1st gens
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I might look into that. Do you have any idea what the amp rating on those switches might be? I have a couple extra switches left over from my led projects. They're AC rated but they working fine for the low amp led's on DC. The switch itself says 250VAC, 3A and 125 VAC, 5A. The York clutch pulls around 5 amps so I think they'll be fine. I should probably test any switch before I go on cutting things. I'll hit up ebay to find a factory switch.

Did Toyota have a standard size bezel for these switches? I'm finding many different years and some for the Tacoma and some for 4runners. What do you think?

ECT switch:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...spagenameZWD1V

Defroster:

Safety Cancel:

Here's a deck lamp:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-88...spagenameZWDVW

Fog light:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...spagenameZWDVW

I guess I can make my own decision but I just didn't know if one fits and one doesn't and their amp ratings.

You are fine with the switch, if its 3A @250VAC then its gonna work for for 5A, 12DC and give you plenty of leeway. I say throw a 7-10 amp resetable breaker in the mix.

Did Toyota have a standard size bezel for these switches? I'm finding many different years and some for the Tacoma and some for 4runners. What do you think?

ECT switch: no idea if this one's a momentary or on/off - probably momentary, skip it
    Defroster: maybe
    Safety Cancel: skip this one, I think it's a momentary switch
    Here's a deck lamp: if someone can post up measurements, this could work (just put mine back down in storage)
    Fog light: this is the one I'd probably go for, as long as it's in the same year range it should fit

I guess I can make my own decision but I just didn't know if one fits and one doesn't and their amp ratings.
    As far as factory amp ratings, your best bet is to use a relay anyway - any voltage drop through wiring and switches will equate to a weaker magentic field at the compressor and possible slippage of the clutch. When the clutch slips it builds heat. As the heat builds, resistance builds. As resistance builds the field gets weaker and the clutch slips more . . . see where this is going? A switch would probably work just fine, but I like to over engineer for my own peace of mind.

BTW
    - 3A x 250 VAC = 750 watts
    - 5A x 12 VDC = 60 watts
    4runnerchevy's right, that switch should be fine
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

If you go the relay route (recommended) then you can use any of the momentary switches, by making the relay self-holding. But the relay will need a signal from IGN to its coil and one from IGN to hold it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast