Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: York for the 3.4 liter

Re: York for the 3.4 liter

Alright, it's 2:15 am and I'll be honest. I'm tired and a little tweaked. This kit is OK but not great. The instructions and parts must be specific for the guy who made it. I have a 5 speed and the fluid reservoir for the clutch is in the way of moving some parts. I have air bag sensors where he doesn't and the battery cable is too short. I thought I had everything buttoned down when I re-attached the battery but I was wrong. There were some sparks and and some noise but I think all is well. I haven't started the vehicle since all that happened but I did turn the key to the on position and everything had power and the gauges moved. This project is basically fitting 11 pounds of crap into and 7 pound bag. Everything is tight and close to each other. I'm done for tonight but I have to get a belt, longer coolant overflow hose, a few brass fittings and longer battery lead. It should be done tomorrow but I'm a little tired of it right now. I'll have some pictures and more specifics if you all want.

Good night.

It's done, pumps air and holds it. I haven't gotten a tank yet because I don't know what I want or where I'm going to put it. This morning I was up at 7 for a painter that we have over, I've had a little over 3 hours of sleep. The compressor fits well and it spaced from everything which is nice because things get hot under the hood and there is an additional belt to dodge.

Pictures to follow, they're uploading right now.

This is a view we all know but the fan has been removed.

Word of advice. Loosen the 4 12mm fan bolts before loosening the PS and alt belts. I would have guessed so but the instructions say otherwise. Problem is the fan spins when there are no belts attached to it and you're trying to unbolt it.

Here is the new combo fan pulley that comes with the kit. It has a 1/2" v belt groove welded to the factory pulley. When you mail back you old pulley they refund you $40.

Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.

This is the space you have to work with. It's not much and honestly it's not enough. You have to get creative with re-routing vacuum lines and wires.

So here it is for the most part. The belt is not tensioned so the compressor is leaning like a cholo. It is also not hooked up to the lines or power.

Snug little fit. My arms are quite beat up from squeezing them around stuff to move and re-route components. The York 209 and 208 models are a little smaller but I'm not sure the kit will work with them. If the bolt pattern is the same it will you just might have to make some alterations as you go. The instructions are a little bogus and if you need them for the install you'll be lost and this will probably take you forever. I was lucky I had a bunch of tools, scrap metal, a large supply of nuts, bolts, washers and beer. It had also helped that i have been prepping all the other aspects of the install thoughout the week.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.

very very nice Im impressed.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

One of the pieces you have to relocate is the overflow bottle from the radiator. The instructions showed where to remount it but I had an airbag sensor there and I'm not sure it would have cleared the compressor clutch anyway. I made a little arm extension out of this hollow stock I had.

Here you can see the bottle holder that was one the radiator support mounted near the air bag sensor. I had to drill out the rivets and the space is really limited and I drilled the top one out a little crooked as you can see.

Here is the bottle mounted . It's really solid and I amazed myself. I don't know why I was so amazed but I was drunk and tired but still thinking.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-11-2013 at 11:18 AM.

The instructions called for a 1/2" by 48" belt for my application. I actually needed a 50" for some reason, another trip to Kragen. The 50 was snug and I had a hell of a time with the tensioning part of the mount. I ended up grabbing my clamping spreading arm from Sears. This pulled the pulley arm up and tensioned the belt (the new belt was a little stiff). Those spreader clamp arms are sweet. They have come in handy so many times I think I'm going to pick up some more. I have 2 in 2 different sizes so far.

After this the belt was snug, fan re-installed and the rest of the belts tensioned.

Next was zip tieing extra wires and hoses in the engine compartment. I didn't want anything pulling something apart or rubbing on each other. I zip tied the heck out of all of it and it's more solid as it was before (knock on wood).

Next was the power. The compressor is grounded when mounted so all you have to do is run the clutch wire to the pressure switch and from the pressure switch to a power switch, then to power. I decided to run my switch in the cab because I found a factory fog light switch that had spade connectors and fit in one of the factory holes. Well it was DOA and I really messed it up trying to "fix" it. For now I have a regular toggle hanging in the cab fuse box.

I have a Blue Sea aux power box so running power was easy. Here it is velcroed to the aig bag controller under the stereo.

All I had to do was solder an end onto a wire and plug it into an empty spot.

I'm running a 10 amp fuse as the clutch can pull up to 6 amps.

Here it is plumbed and powered.

Looking left

Passenger side fender

Closer

I ran everything behind the factory equipment so it's out of the way and protected. This is the filter and Tee. From the Tee there is an output under the front bumper and soon a line to a tank so where else.

Current location of front output

I may come up with something else later but I didn't want the hose flopping out.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-11-2013 at 11:19 AM.

New view of the belts and fan. The pulley is very smooth and quiet. I don't think there is any more noise than before at idle.

Completed side view.

In all this was a biotch to install. I had a bunch of left over parts and mounting hardware and I had to make some pieces. It is solid and works but you will have your work cut out for you. Without the tank but just a coil hose and air nozzle the compressor puts out 50 psi at idle. I could blow clean the garage flow just fine. The MV50 for instance blows out 15 psi until it gets back pressure while filling a tire. I might have a modded MV50 for sale if anyone is interested.

Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-11-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast