Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: York for the 3.4 liter

Yeah, it would be nice to see you at pismo! Otherwise, we'll meet up one of these days. I am looking into what I'd need to do it and see if it is cost effective for me to try.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I have a friend in apple vally selling brakets for 3.4, York and modded alt pully for $150. He just wont ship though

PM me that info troy.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Working on getting you his number. Might take a couple days

Update:
    So my trusty York has been in operation for 8 years on my 4Runner. I tend to use it year round and this summer was no exception. Except for Pismo this past weekend, the last time I used it was on the Coyote Flats trip last month. At that time it worked perfectly.

Well this past weekend after a weekend in the dunes I needed to air up before heading home. I pulled off the sand and fired her up. Right away I heard the hissing of an air leak. No biggie as I keep a hose repair kit but I couldn't find this leak. I narrowed it down to the section of hose but couldn't feel the air or hear a change in pitch as I touched the area. Having little time to waste I hooked up my hose and let it pump hoping the tire was getting a portion of the air.

It filled up the tires but very slowly. I was going from about 15 psi to 40 and it was moving at MV-50 pace which is too slow. By the time I was on the last tire I decided to up the engine RPMs to give it that extra otput. If a hose blew at that point I figured I'd be good enough to get home. I upped it from idle to about 1500 RPM and sure enough something went boom. It wasn't an air hose but the compressor made a horrible squealing pig noise and the pulley stopped turning.

I immediately flipped the switch off and went and stared at the compressor. All looked fine so I gave the clutch a whack with the flashlight. Flipped the switch and out came more squealing noise. I figured a bearing went out or the clutch was clogged with sand or dirt. I packed up with about 30 psi and headed to the gas station.

Fast forward two days to today and I'm dealing with a misfire code. For S&G's I flip the OBA switch and like magic she starts pumping and I hear the hiss again. Sweet, it fixed itself. I flip it off then lift the hood to give the compressor a pat on the head and then I see this.

Son'bi!ch threw a rod or a bearing! It doesn't look like it spit out it's oil but then I got to wondering if there is much in there. If it's over filled, or properly filled, it spits out oil into the discharge. As such, if anything, I always keep it a little low. It's always rocked out and sounded great so I didn't check it much. I called my go to source and it seems these things have gone up in value, like more than doubled in price. The good thing is that when I find a new one it's an easy bolt in and it's good to go. RIP little guy.

What kind of prices are you finding for York compressors these days?
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

A place local to me wants $75. He said he had two '83 Volvo 270's in the yard. I've only bought from this particular dismantler and 15 years ago I could get them for $25. I think once I got 2 for $40. At that time they had two Costco sized shelves full of Yorks to choose from which is nice considering there are three different sizes and two different style connections.

Looks like I'm going to have to go down there and peek around.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678