Thread: Write Up: Replacing Back-up Light Switch in a 3rd Gen. 5 Speed

Write Up: Replacing Back-up Light Switch in a 3rd Gen. 5 Speed

I noticed that my reverse lights didn't come on when I shifted into reverse. I shook the stick around, put it in neutral and back into reverse, and every so often they would flash on then back off. It was obvious that the bulbs were still working.

I started searching around and found a few semi-helpful threads, but not a whole lot specific to 3rd gens. I looked in the FSM that I downloaded and it contains these pictures:

The switch is located on the passenger side of the transmission:

The switch is 27mm:

Re: Replacing Back-up Light Switch in a 3rd Gen. 5 Speed

First I removed the backup light switch, cleaned it off, and sprayed the prongs with the same electronics cleaner that I used for the MAF:

Replaced it, and all was good.

About 4 months later, the same thing started happening again. I cleaned the switch again, but it did not work as well as the first time. I ordered a replacment switch from the dealer, costing me $22.75 from Toyota of Dallas. The part number is 84210-12040.

I put the new switch in and all was well

Re: Write Up: Replacing Back-up Light Switch in a 3rd Gen. 5 Speed

I edited the title to say Write Up.

Thanks garrett for the information!
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

garrett,

thanks for contributing! i think this is a very thorough writeup and could probalby be moved to the wiki without further contribution

bob

awesome, i made the wiki!

will all the pictures in the wiki be hosted on this site? just wondering in case my pictures get deleted in the future...