Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how long does a propane canister last?

Re: how long does a propane canister last?

I usually use about 1/4 or more of a 10 gal tank...........

of corse thats running the truck/stove/lights etc........

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I have 5 little "disposable" canisters that I have had for a couple of years now. I have one of those couplers from Cablea's that allow you to fill them from a bigger tank. I usually put one on my lantern and it'll last at least 2 nights. I use about half of another one on the BBQ and stove for dinner and breakfast. That being said I usually take 4 with me and come back with 2 un-used. It's always good to have more than you need. You never know when you'll need to shoot one for S&G or loan one out.

Here's the coupler.
    http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Tool-.../dp/B0000AXEWU
    That's awesome, I need to get one of those! How do you know when you've filled the little one?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc P
    I usually go through 1 in a weekend....using a stove for breakfast and dinner, and a lantern for a while in the evening.
    I'm the same and that is if I have to cook all the whole meals on the 3burner stove (I usually try to cook as much over an open fire as I can).

I take 3 or 4 for my trips. Even when I take the m416 with it's 11# propane tank and lantern tree, I'll still take the 3 or 4 little ones.
    Your little one is full when it reaches the same pressure as the big tank. Technically you could fill a large tank with a small tank if the pressure was lower than the "filling tank." One thing I noticed my last trip was that the tank was bulging. It looks like the little tanks might have a life but I'll rely on the pressure relief valve. My extra 20# tank has been filling the little tanks for 2 years now.

Thanks Mike, that's pretty much how I thought it would work, just wasn't sure.
    My signature

marc said cooking rocks hahahaha anyone who wasn't on that trip thinks were a bunch of dope fiends...... thanks for the info i will probably bring 5. 1 extra just in case for four days that should be good
    85 4 runner that's just a little modified call TUBINGWORKS FAB FOR ANY FAB NEEDS 619 438 1160

I got that little device at harbor freight. It really saves money on buying small canisters.

4x4mike, Do you freeze the little canisters before you fill them? Thats what I always do. But if they get too cold, they get over full and stretch when they warm up. I usually fill them up by weight to avoid any un-wanted explosions.

And yes, cooking rocks may not be the norm, but it sure is the best thing to keep warm with on a cold night! Has any one ever said that our group was normal
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

ok heres the report on the propane. just got back and i used a little over one canister ... i cooked breakfast thursday and friday and saturday and cooked dinner on thursday and friday night. used the bbq and stove both times (no Lantern) so next time i will bring two only.
    85 4 runner that&#39;s just a little modified call TUBINGWORKS FAB FOR ANY FAB NEEDS 619 438 1160

Now you know. I always forget so I had to write it down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12