Thread: Clacking sound from my 3RZ

Clacking sound from my 3RZ

Ok fellas, I need some advice. I've been hearing a clacking sound from my truck for a little while now. I figured that I had a loose connection in my exhaust system. After doing some research online about getting engines running well, I found a website http://remanufactured-engines.com/pa...iagnosis%20101 that said some scary things about clacking/knocking sounds, so I called the guy and he told me that my engine was knocking at the 'bottom end' and that I need a new one.
    Here's the background: After the car has warmed up, I hear a clacking sound when getting on the gas noticable around 1500-2500 RPM(not loud, but enough that I can hear it). I also hear the clacking at idle after it has warmed up.
    It's a 96, 4 cylinder, 135k miles, and I regularly change the oil. So, I'd like to know if ya'll think my engine is shot and that he diagnosed the problem correctly.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

Re: Clacking sound from my 3RZ

Quote Originally Posted by Small_words
    Ok fellas, I need some advice. I've been hearing a clacking sound from my truck for a little while now. I figured that I had a loose connection in my exhaust system. After doing some research online about getting engines running well, I found a website http://remanufactured-engines.com/pa...iagnosis%20101 that said some scary things about clacking/knocking sounds, so I called the guy and he told me that my engine was knocking at the 'bottom end' and that I need a new one.
    How did he diagnose it over the phone, did you stick the phone up to the bottom end. If it is really clacking from the bottom end, then it could very well need replacing. If your not mech. inclined then take it to a mechanic and have them diagnose it. I bet he's a salesman, so obviously you need a new engine. It could be valve lash or your exhaust, who knows.

After this initial scare, I took it to a local mechanic and it had gone away. His thought and mine is that since it is intermittent, it isn't serious. I would however like to figure out the source and I'm an engineer, so pretty comfortable with the mechanics. Do you have any thoughts? I'm not sure what valve lash is, but if you tell me whether you mean the fuel inlet valve and what lash implies, I can figure it out.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

have you put a mechanic's stethoscope to the area(s) where the sound is coming from? If not, please do so and take a photo of the exact area where the sound is comign from. then we might be able to help you better from there. mech's stethoscopes are less than $10 at any auto parts store.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    have you put a mechanic's stethoscope to the area(s) where the sound is coming from? If not, please do so and take a photo of the exact area where the sound is comign from. then we might be able to help you better from there. mech's stethoscopes are less than $10 at any auto parts store.
    x2

Got it. Now I have to get the darn thing to replicate itself again. Thanks fellas

Mine does the same thing...intermittently...not sure what it is either.

I would call mine more of a ticking though and it tick, tick, tick, ticks...then its fine for a minute or two then tick, tick, tick, tick, then again another minute or two passes and so forth. Its very odd in my opinion. I honestly have just sort of let it go. I haven't paid much attention lately just been checking to see if its been getting worse or anything and so far so good. I did the old screwdriver to the ear, to the block test and everything sounds normal for the 3-4 minutes even when it did tick, tick, tick.

Possibly just another bad manifold.

Let me know if you get yours diagnosed any further.
    ~Kyle<br /><br />2004 Xcab Tacoma 4x4, diff locker, mostly stock for now...