Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen IFS skidplate buildup

Re: 3rd Gen IFS skidplate buildup

My oil change is coming up and I have to drop my new skid. I was thinking about yours and wondering what the progress was. Good to see it still in the works. Looking good
    Any idea what it weighs?

I'll toss it on the scale when I get it all finished. Wonderful thing is I won't have to drop this part to change my oil!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

so it warped again. even going soooo slow (4-6 3/4" welds at a time, all spread out, sit for 10 minutes, then return). its not nearly as bad as it was on the first version, but its still there.

meanwhile (while waiting for the front skid to cool between welds) i got the bottom skid mounting plate welded on, next it has to go on the truck for a mockup so i can get the angle correct for the lower lip of the front skid, once i get that i can make the mounting bracket that will be welded to the front plate. im a little weary of welding on it, but it needs to be done.

pictures to come later tonight, just working my hardest to get this done (at least mocked up) today.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I had no warping on mine and it's thinner than yours. Maybe it's just the design.

I was going to drill a hole to drain the oil but I always spill taking the filter out. As a result I always pull the skid plate. I like it though because it gives me a chance to check out everything else under the vehicle. An oil change for me is 10-15 minutes. I tend to poke around so it's more like an hour and a half.

i thought we were using the same stuff, i got 11 gauge sheet.

anyhow, here's the warp earlier today, ever so slight:

magically, its gone. apparently i put just enough heat on the right spot of the skidplate, now its perfectly true and doesnt want to wobble at all. metal gods like me today...

so with that problem fixed by finishing up all the welding, i started on the mount that connects this skidplate to the one that will be under the engine and front diff. this is the one that will likely take the most abuse, but there is just not alot to work with down there. im going more for ease of replacement/fixing with a BFH when needed.

so with the mount tacked i test fitted everything, fits perfect! time to weld everything up and drill the mounting holes. so there are 16 holes total, 8 access holes that needed to be drilled through the actual plates, and 8 holes to mount the two plates together. i didnt get the last 4 holes drilled, ran out of light. when i get those drilled, i will weld nuts on the backside.

front skid:

under engine skid:

so thats what i got done this weekend. i was trying to get it all done so i could paint it this week while im stuck at school, but ohwell. this will actually give me a chance to decide what to do about the outer edges of where the engine skid meets the front skid. ill come up with something this week.

things left to do in no particular order:
    paint!
    oil the places i cant paint.
    figure out what to do with the outer longitudinal pieces and their relation to the under engine skid.
    figure out how to mount the rear part of the engine skid.
    score engine skid and bend after front swaybar.

overall, id say successful weekend!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Great work Sean. Glad your persistence is paying off! Looks like a cool skid too.
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

paint is done, she looks beautiful!!!

welding the front studs was a great idea, sooo much cleaner. im using nylock nuts on the front, makes it a little harder to put on but i like it better than the split washers.

now i get to work on the under engine part. shouldnt be nearly as difficult.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Sweet! Nice job Sean!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Cool, glad it worked out for you.

Nice... Now go bash that thing on some rocks to make sure it works!
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast