Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen IFS skidplate buildup

Re: 3rd Gen IFS skidplate buildup

Quote Originally Posted by glenyoshida
    What do you think about welding on some 1" 11 AWG fins to add some strength? It won't stop the smaller dents but might keep the major impacts from forming deep and large dents?
    that was the plan on the fins, i might do a box design with half lap joints, esp on the front skid and the belly pan.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by glenyoshida

I hear ya on the weight thing. I can feel a difference when I have my spare on or off and that's only 85 lbs. I can only imagine how a full belly skid would affect things (300 lbs?).
    I'd say mine don't weigh more than 50 pounds. There is no reason for me to have anything thicker or heavier. I'm not in the business of destryoing the vehicle and would rather save on gas and hone my wheeling skills.

Sean, what thickness are you using? Sorry, I couldn't find it, only found what you weren't useing.
    My signature

11 gauge, its just a tiny bit under 1/8" thick. weighs about 5 pounds/square foot.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I'd say mine don't weigh more than 50 pounds. There is no reason for me to have anything thicker or heavier. I'm not in the business of destryoing the vehicle and would rather save on gas and hone my wheeling skills.
    exactly. i wheel pretty hard, but im not in the business of tearing up my vehicle. i try to be damn careful.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

No less than 1/2". Come on, quit scewing around.

I agree with the engineered solution over a 150 pound plate. Scottiac takes his Skidrow skidplates on and off because he is seeing a 1-1.5 mpg reduction with them on. I am anxious to see what you come up with Sean--something that offers better protection than we have now but doesn't kill the gas mileage. Mine is a DD, so that is important to me.

Here is a lightweight alternative:
    http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...ght=skid+plate

hey man, i have basically THE EXACT skids you want, mine bolt to my ARB and go until my gas tank where i still have the stock skid (dont ask) if you want i can take some pictures and measurements for you when i take off the front one to do an oil change in 2 weeks.

mine are 3/16" thick with ribbing down the middle and sides, REALLY stout, slammed them down on a few rocks up at tellico and no dents, though i do have a pretty serious slit down the front one where i slid over a sharp rock.... let me know if you want those pics and measuremnts
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

here you can see my front skid...

Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

My Budbuilt front skid is 62 lbs, the belly is 52 lbs. The 11 mild that I have weighs right at 5 lbs/ft2 and 3/16 mild I have laying around weighs about 7.66 lbs/ft2.

So I suppose you would be saving about 41 lbs or so for a front and belly. Is that the about the same numbers you came up with?

Box design would be sick! I'd love to see some good engineering on that. Probably could shave off 60 lbs for a front and belly skid with a good design? Lots of work though. I'd like to say I'm that motivated but I usually just end up thinking a lot about it then getting sleepy with knowing glances at the couch.
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast