Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: elocker and axle stuff

elocker and axle stuff

Edit: This started as a parts request but it has gotten somewhat "techy" so it was moved to a more appropriate section. I'm going to change this up a little bit, to include some things that may or may not be missing from all the great writeups. This is not going to be a writeup by any means, just a little added tech for those searching to do this.

I am putting an elocker in my '93 4runner:

Parts I needed:

elocker diff gasket (thanks MarcP)
    2 111mm axle studs
    2 8mm lock washers
    2 8mm nuts (I got these at Marlin Elocker Parts.) You can also get them from NTP, I just went with Marlin due to already getting some other stuff from them.)
    2 rear axle seals (I got the Special Rear Axle Seals from Marlin Crawler, so we'll see how they do. They were only a few cents more over the regulars.)

Drill and tap set? Need to find out exactly what size tap. I know it is 8mm but need to find out for sure the thread pitch.

Already, I have seen something that isn't covered in the writeups, and that is for those that have the ABS sensor in the top of the third member. You will lose ABS. We will see what works to make sure that the ABS light does not come on. Paddlenbike has promised to help me figure this one out once I get it all buttoned back up. The reason for this not being covered, is that most writeups are on 3rd gen 4runners which have ABS sensors at each wheel or are on older axles that don't have ABS.
    My signature

Re: elocker and axle stuff

Looks right when you compare it to Bob's wriet up
    http://www.4runners.org/writeups/elocker/

Toyota does update part numbers so they may change. One source I use to check prices and part numbers is toyotapartsales.com

also make sure you get INNER axle seals...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

use the sealant, not the gasket. use the paper gasket for template purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Looks right when you compare it to Bob's wriet up
    I copied and pasted those right from his writeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    use the sealant, not the gasket. use the paper gasket for template purposes.
    That's what I was planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    also make sure you get INNER axle seals...
    Do I need inner and outers?
    My signature

the inner seal goes in the axle tube, the outer is involved with the axle bearings and is only replaced if you are doing bearings. i think all you want to do is the inner seals(the ones the axles slide into on the housing).

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks Sean, after looking at it, I see what you are talking about.
    My signature

bump...
    My signature

what are you doing about a wiring harness/control switch? most of the options are pretty pricey.

for a small fee ill make one for you!

hmmm... I've got the little harness that connects to the motor. So I could....

go with the inchworm kit $55

or 12voltguy and get a one piece harness with a cool panel (match the one I just got at Pismo for a winch) $150

or ORS $150

or check out what you have

PM me what your setup is, I'm interested.
    My signature

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast