Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance Fraud?

Insurance Fraud?

Hey guys, I have a question about insurance claims.

I got into an accident where the other party was at fault. (rear ender)

Well the other party's insurance company told me to go to their shop and get it appraised, which I did. Well they ended up cutting me a 1200 check to get it fixed. I went to another shop and they told me it would only cost me 400. If the other party's insurance company already cut me a check for 1200, should I call them back and say "hey guys, here's your 800? or should i just keep the money?

The reason the amt was so different b/w the two shops is bc one shop said i needed sheet metal work done, and the other shop (dealership) said i didnt. The dealership told me if i kept the money, it would be insurance fraud? I dont believe him...what do you guys think?
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Re: Insurance Fraud?

Since you went to one of the "approved" insurance company repair shops you will be completely fine. If anything happens it'll be the insurance company going after their own repair shop on how the amount was justified.

Remember you're just the victim here and not trying to pocket anything. You did what the insurance company told you to do by going to their shop to get it appraised. After that they sent you a check for the appraised damages to your vehicle. Sounds pretty cut and dry.

Also keep in mind that repair shops will vary from location to location depending on how thorough they do the appraisal inspection.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    Since you went to one of the "approved" insurance company repair shops you will be completely fine. If anything happens it'll be the insurance company going after their own repair shop on how the amount was justified.

Remember you're just the victim here and not trying to pocket anything. You did what the insurance company told you to do by going to their shop to get it appraised. After that they sent you a check for the appraised damages to your vehicle. Sounds pretty cut and dry.

Also keep in mind that repair shops will vary from location to location depending on how thorough they do the appraisal inspection.
    x2
    Its thier fault that they didn't ask you to go to two different shops. As a matter of fact, they were saving money by sending you to thier shop. You have the right to go wherever you want, it just happened to be thier shop.

x3.
    If it has been damage I can live with, I have almost always taken the check from the insurance company, and just left my vehicle the way it is, and spent it on bills, and other things.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

X4
    its your $$ (for the repair). you dont even have to fix it!

youll get 2 different estimnates from the same appaiser at the same shop if you mention insurance is paying. (which sounds more like fraud!)
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

X5
    they looked at it and said it will cost XX amount to fix. if you get it done cheaper the money is all yours.
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

In criminal law, fraud is the crime or offense of deliberately deceiving another in order to damage them usually, to obtain property or services unjustly. Fraud can be accomplished through the aid of forged objects. In the criminal law of common law jurisdictions it may be called "theft by deception," "larceny by trick," "larceny by fraud and deception" or something similar.

Insurance fraud can be classified as either hard fraud or soft fraud.

Hard fraud occurs when someone deliberately plans or invents a loss, such as a collision, auto theft, or fire that is covered by their insurance policy in order to receive payment for damages. Criminal rings are sometimes involved in hard fraud schemes that can steal millions of dollars.

Soft fraud, which is far more common than hard fraud, is sometimes also referred to as opportunistic fraud. This type of fraud consists of policyholders exaggerating otherwise legitimate claims. For example, when involved in a collision an insured person might claim more damage than was really done to his or her car. Soft fraud can also occur when, while obtaining a new insurance policy, an individual misreports previous or existing conditions in order to obtain a lower premium on their insurance policy.

In this case, there was no intent to deceive so there is no fraud. There is only moral dilemma. Is it immoral to keep the difference? I can only declare my moral code on this. What I have done is to get three estimates from their authorized providers. They cut a check according their guidlines and I do the work myself. That is not fraud nor is it immoral since I only allowed other controlling authority to apply value to the damage done, then executed the repairs myself; or as in Rocko's case...not. The value of the damage as declared by a professional is yours regardless. It is in place to "make you whole" again.

Anecdotally, I once had an Isuzu pickup. It cost me almost 1000.00. Well, it was payment on a debt owed to me. It's value was actually around 1500.00. I drove it around for four years. During that time, it was in five different altercations; none of them my fault. Without exhaustive detail I'll just say that I received in insurance payments about 4000.00. I didn't ever fix the truck. It wasn't worth it. Instead, I bought guns and sent my wife to Europe. I eventually signed the truck over to charity and they gave me a receipt for it's book value...2000.00. Hehe.

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Sounds like the question is answered . . . now, the only question is the extra money going to a locker or armor?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Buy a gun.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Yes!!!! Yes, that is most definately fraud! I can't believe everyone is condoneing this. And you all wonder why insurance is expensive.

Just kidding. Take the money and do what you want with it.
    My signature

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast