Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balancing Big Tires

Balancing Big Tires

Balancing big tires, what are you guys using ?. Airsoft, Steel BB'S (or copperheads), Dyna beads ($$$), centramatic, does graphite work with the moisture in the tire ? what else ?

The lead weights are getting old.

Re: Balancing Big Tires

what is considered a big tire... i have 35's and discount tire balances them great everytime.
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

My friend used airsoft and he thinks it helped.

Graphite like the powder graphite? Never heard of it, but I don't think I'd do it. With the moisture it would just clump up.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Runner202020
    what is considered a big tire... i have 35's and discount tire balances them great everytime.
    I have 36" tires, and I don't want to balance them every time I get off a trail. Its either lose a weight or the tire spins on the rim. I know I need beadlocks, and thats even more of a reason to find the best method for balancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    My friend used airsoft and he thinks it helped.

Graphite like the powder graphite? Never heard of it, but I don't think I'd do it. With the moisture it would just clump up.
    I have heard of graphite, it also makes it easy to re-seat a bead. I know it clumps, thats why I probably wont use it (even though its free for me). I will probably go with airsoft 8-10 oz a tire or center balancers.

Options

http://www.centramatic.com/balancer.html

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/equal/

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/equal/

I've heard good things about airsoft bb's as well as golf balls. I think you can use water but I have no idea how much and would think that it would slow things down. Plus if it's a DD the temperature change will goof things up.

Water can also be bad on the inside of tires and rims if left there long enough, I suppose. and due to the inherit moisture, I would think graphite is out, and the same with BB's, as they may eventually get goofed up because of moisture, Airsoft BB's sound more and more like the way the more I think of it...
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Water?

On a mostly trail truck, pellets, airsoft, etc. are going to be cheapest for results.

4Crawler has highlighted good results from Centramatic.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Centramatic is selling the 15" ones again, but I am cheap. So we will see.

i have yet to even balance my 35" coopers they are just fine! really amazing what brand new, high quality tires on brand new rims can do....

i'd do bb's at this point though.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    I have 36" tires, and I don't want to balance them every time I get off a trail. Its either lose a weight or the tire spins on the rim. I know I need beadlocks, and thats even more of a reason to find the best method for balancing.
    What size wheel are you running?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast