Thread: How can I get the most out of my 4cyl?

How can I get the most out of my 4cyl?

I was wonting to get the most out of my 4 banger, without having to do alot of internal work. My plans were: K/N cold air intake, computer chip, and a maximum flow exhust. What are yalls recomendations? Thanks.

2000taco

Re: How can I get the most out of my 4cyl?

Those chips are worthless resistors that do nothing.

I would look into the deckplate mod (search)which is 100x better than the kn cold air intake and way cheaper.

Do your exhaust, deckplate and see what ya get.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Yeah man, the deckplate did just as much as the K&N.

Chips are overrated and are hard on the system.

You should have bought a 3.4 if you needed the extra umph...you won't get much from mods to the 2.7. Take it from a guy who has tried..;-)
    ~Kyle<br /><br />2004 Xcab Tacoma 4x4, diff locker, mostly stock for now...

chips are good on other cars not so much on our toyotas. but ya the deckplate is a good idea.

96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

Thanks yall, But, im not sure what deckplates are. Lil help please.

deckplate = a marine deckplate, made for putting holes in the floor of boats that are sealable and completely watertight when closed. People install a 4" deckplate into thier airbox, to allow MUCH more air flow, but if needed it can be covered up and sealed.
    I'm not sure what the 4 cyl airbox looks like, but assuming it is anything like the V6's, just open the lid of the airbox. Instant deckplate, almost exactly the same airflow and sound, and all you have to do to seal it is close the lid.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I did the deckplate on my 4 cyl and it's different. The front is corrugated, so you need to buy some sort of sealant. My wife was making a kayak at the time, so I took some thickened epoxy and sealed the deckplate housing to the airbox. The corrugations play havoc with a hole saw, so I just did it with a small hand saw.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

A drill and an air body saw will make short work out of that air box. Go out and measure the deck plates and their mounting ring. This will give you an idea of how big you can go. A dremel or like tool will be necessary to grind down the ridges for the mounting flange.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    I'm not sure what the 4 cyl airbox looks like, but assuming it is anything like the V6's, just open the lid of the airbox. Instant deckplate, almost exactly the same airflow and sound, and all you have to do to seal it is close the lid.
    make sure you open up the airbox before the filter - you don't want unfiltered air getting into the engine
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I forgot where I saw it but someone opened the lid as the mod. He put a large diameter spring in the box that pressed the filter in to make the seal. I guess the filter would pop out on bumpy roads. That would suck to open the hood after wheeling and find your filter gone. I would wonder how long it was gone and blame every problem that followed to the fact that it fell out.