Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well now I know how much gas my tank will hold...

Well now I know how much gas my tank will hold...

So yesterday my low fuel light came on. I was running a tight schedule and didn't have time to stop to fill up until after a few things were done. While on the way to the gas station my Tundra sputtered then died. Fortunately, I was about 100-150 yards from the Chevron. The momentum from traveling 40 mph on a flat grade with little traffic carried me to my final left hand turn into the lot. I had to tap my brakes for an instant to avoid an oncoming vehicle and coasted across the street, over the approach and through the lot at about 5mph. Had I not needed to tap my brakes before, I could have literally made exactly to the first pump, but I had to hop out and push the last 10 feet.

The funny thing was that I had a cheering section at the station. The other patrons had seen my flashers from down the street and had watched me navigate the left turn into the Chevron. They were as amused by me as I was by them. When I arrived at the pump with almost no physical effort of my own, I got a mild cheer and a distant high five.

For the record, my tank holds exactly 26.24 gals of fuel. Hehe.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Re: Well now I know how much gas my tank will hold...

It's like that Seinfeld episode. I'm glad to know that I'm within a gallon or so of knowing my true capacity.

Great story! I always think I am going to run out of fuel but never have. Darn that 4 gallon safety factor that Toyota built into the 4Runner! Driving with the low fuel light on for 60+ miles really stresses me out. Now that I use GPS, I can relax knowing the distance to the next fuel stop.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    Great story! I always think I am going to run out of fuel but never have. Darn that 4 gallon safety factor that Toyota built into the 4Runner! Driving with the low fuel light on for 60+ miles really stresses me out. Now that I use GPS, I can relax knowing the distance to the next fuel stop.
    4 gallon? Really?
    Cause mine is 2...
    16 gallon tank with a 2 gallon reserve, my light comes on when I have 2 gallons left...

Fuster man, great story.
    Next time just stop and fill up lol.

Haha, I have run my Taco out of gas before... I have found that once my light comes on, Ic an safely go about 50 miles with no worries, 25-30 if I am towing.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

ive never gotten cheered before, usually just a glare...

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    16 gallon tank with a 2 gallon reserve, my light comes on when I have 2 gallons left...
    i think i squeezed in 18.6 gallons, once.
    i use 2g once the light illuminates.
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

4 gallon? Really?
    Cause mine is 2...
    If I fuel up when the light comes on it takes just over 14 gallons on a 18.5 gallon tank

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    If I fuel up when the light comes on it takes just over 14 gallons on a 18.5 gallon tank
    Mine too,

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Interesting....
    I just filled up today, the light came on and I got a little over 16 gallons in....

Gosh when I fill up it doubles the value of my runner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast