Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which knife to get

Which knife to get

I've always used the Spiderco knives, but since I lost my last one, I want a replacement. Can anyone give any recommendations on other companies that make good outdoor knives. Also, I'd like to keep it in my pocket so legally I think the blade can't be longer than 3" (Cali). Correct me if I'm wrong. I guess this would be a good place to show off your knives too.

Thanks
    David

Re: Which knife to get

I my benchmade.

Not sure what the law states for Kalifornia on knives but I carry my "longer than 3inch blade" with me. doh!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

kershaw is by far my favorite so far, but i love my gerber. i find that i use it ALOT, and sharpen accordingly. similar to this: http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php...empage&xid=505

its very lightweight, i can get the blade out super quick (self defense). i carry it every day, use it for everything from cutting open boxes to cutting rope to preparing food on the trail. been a great knife, and if you look around you can find it for much cheaper.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I have a Benchmade Deja Voo that fits my paws well. They have a mini for normal people.

Good knife, good locking blade, good steel for the money.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

I have 6 or 7 Spyderco's that I like a lot. I used to carry Benchmades because I could get them at cost. They were nice but I never loved them although the Styker came close. If you do a little reading you'll find that there are a lot of gray areas in the whole carry issue. I carry a Military some days, it's longer than 3" but there is no law (at least in my county) that says it's illegal. Where and how you carry it is important too. It has to be closed and at the waist or in a pocket. It also has to have a cam like feature to keep the blade in the closed position. I have read that guys crank down the pivot on larger knives (ones that can be flung open easy or that have heavy blades) so it can't be flung open. EDC for me right now is a black PE Para Military and in my bag is a Rescue. It's perfect size and carried IWB it's not noticable and legal.

In Colorado, where Spydercos come from, you can't legally carry a Military unless you're hunting. In looking at laws a couple of years ago there was a story of a guy that was dressed up for a Renaissance fair. He had a small boot knife and was busted for an open contained outside of the event. They found the knife and smacked him with that violation. Any fixed blades must be worn at the waist and not concealed (no size limit).

Cliff notes: Buy what you want and don't let the size limit you. Just stay out of trouble and don't create reasons for LE to bust you for a having a knife too big. Do you see your self getting in trouble after using a 4" knife to cut a seatbelt to get someone out of a burning car?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Do you see your self getting in trouble after using a 4" knife to cut a seatbelt to get someone out of a burning car?
    these days.... yeah i actually do, isnt that sad?
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

I like my Ed Haligan KISS knife (Keep It Super Simple). It's a single side blade design (handle fits snug against the sharp edge), looks inconspicuous as a money clip and is always in my waistband. I've had mine for longer than I can remember and use it for everything, they also have a partial serrated blade

Manufacturer: CRKT
    Name: crkt k.i.s.s. tanto C series
    Model: CR-5500C
    Blade edge: plain edge
    Blade Length: 2.25"
    Closed Length: 3.5"
    Overall Length: 5.75"
    Steel: 420 J2 54-56 HRC
    Finish: bead blast
    Weight: 2.3 oz
    Clip: stainless pocket
    Retail: $46.70
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    I like my Ed Haligan KISS knife (Keep It Super Simple). It's a single side blade design (handle fits snug against the sharp edge), looks inconspicuous as a money clip and is always in my waistband. I've had mine for longer than I can remember and use it for everything, they also have a partial serrated blade

Manufacturer: CRKT
    Name: crkt k.i.s.s. tanto C series
    Model: CR-5500C
    Blade edge: plain edge
    Blade Length: 2.25"
    Closed Length: 3.5"
    Overall Length: 5.75"
    Steel: 420 J2 54-56 HRC
    Finish: bead blast
    Weight: 2.3 oz
    Clip: stainless pocket
    Retail: $46.70
    I have the partially serrated blade. It's nice and small. I've had it for years and am positive I didn't pay $46.70 for it. Maybe 20 bucks or so.

ive had this (the same) knife for over 15 years, only lost it twice

holds a good edge, can flip open w/1 hand.
    says 3.71" blade. any cop who has wanted to hassle me for it, has always returned it.
    before 9-11, i would occassionally make it through a metal detector.

good price for it...
    http://www.southerntackle.com/prodde...sp?prod=SW2000
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

i have a Smith & Wesson HRT Fighter and have had it for the past 3 years. excellent knife in my opinion
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast