Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA CCW.

CA CCW.

I got my approval letter yesterday. Taking the class on Oct. 4th and I will take care of the remaining paperwork, fees, and fingerprinting on the 10th. Then its just another 12-16 week wait. Haha. Its a long process but well worth it. Im really stoked. It will go along with my UT and FL permits nicely.

Anyone else here have a CA permit?
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Re: CA CCW.

damn.

i went to the sherriff's office about 2 miles from my house. i took with me a one-page application filled out w/ the normal stuff along w/ the second page listing three local residents as references. i went in, the lady entered my info into the computer for the instant background check, took my picture, and handed me my CCW card - took about 10-minutes total.

here in AL, they just check your criminal history similar to what is required to purchase a handgun. if you can buy one, then you can get a concealed carry permit.

sucks that you guys have to jump thru so many hoops out there just to exercise your 2nd amendment rights.
    -andy

It does, but at least I got it. The 12-16 week wait is for the FBI background check. Much more than what they do when you go buy a gun.

Luckily I live in a County which is pro CCW. Most other states, a CCW permit is issued by the state. Not in CA. Its issued by the County. I live in Kern County which has one of the highest issuance rates in all of CA. Kern definitely has the most issued permits. If I lived in say Los Angeles County, it would have been impossible to obtain a permit. But with my permit which was issued in Kern, I can carry anywhere in CA. Kinda weird. But whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by xonetruthcrewx
    Luckily I live in a County which is pro CCW.
    I'm not so lucky in Sacramento County although I have no reason to carry in public.

But with my permit which was issued in Kern, I can carry anywhere in CA. Kinda weird. But whatever.
    I'd look into that. As far as I know that is not true without clearance from local officials from the county you are "visiting." I seem to remember so local guys getting busted the next county over (which is as close as under 10 miles from my house)

damn colin, you are one lucky dude. did it have anywhere in the application as to what reason you needed a ccw?

back in the days, willie williams, the newly hired police chief could not get his CCW for a few months. i guess thats more of a function of the bureacracy, but seriously, if the new PC couldnt get one in a timely manner...sheeesh!

yeah, ours here are issued by the local county sherriff and it's up to him as to issue or not based on state law. the CCP is good in all of AL as well as 27 reciprocal agreement states.

congrats!
    -andy

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Luckily I live in a County which is pro CCW.
    I'm not so lucky in Sacramento County although I have no reason to carry in public.

But with my permit which was issued in Kern, I can carry anywhere in CA. Kinda weird. But whatever.
    I'd look into that. As far as I know that is not true without clearance from local officials from the county you are "visiting." I seem to remember so local guys getting busted the next county over (which is as close as under 10 miles from my house)
    Sure you have a reason to carry in public. Its your right to. As far as a CA CCW permit being good in all of CA, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    damn colin, you are one lucky dude. did it have anywhere in the application as to what reason you needed a ccw?

back in the days, willie williams, the newly hired police chief could not get his CCW for a few months. i guess thats more of a function of the bureacracy, but seriously, if the new PC couldnt get one in a timely manner...sheeesh!

Yes I am. Good Cause is required. I wont go into it, but I will tell you that I am a business owner. "Edge Photography" is owned and operated by me.

As for the 12-16 week wait once I turn in all the remaining paperwork and etc., it could be less. I have read that some people have been lucky enough to only have to wait a month or so. Hopefully that is the case for myself. We'll see.

alabama is actually like california in the "may issue" sense which came as a shock to me. it seems like the rest of the south and most of the country (36 states i believe) will issue if you meet the requirements. these "may issue" states leave it up to the local authority so its up to them if they want to give you one or not. illinois and wisconsin have NO EXCUSE for denying our right to bear arms...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Put it this way, should you end up needing to brandish, would you want a possible situation where an undercover, or other CCW who is unaware of who you are, or the specifics of the situation where you have chosen to brandish, choosing you as the instigator and choosing you as his/her target.
    So if I notify a county that I am there and carrying, they will immediately send out a memo to all law enforcement agencies in the area as well as all the CCW permit holders so that they know who I am? Come on dude, what you said above is one of the most retarded things I have ever heard. Maybe not though. Maybe everyone has like special watches or something. James Bond and shit. Haha.

Anyways....... I looked around a bit for the exact laws but havent been able to find anything. I am taking my CA CCW class this Saturday though and I will find out for sure then.

Took the class today, and oh what fun that was. I asked specifically about having a CA CCW permit and the laws when traveling in/through counties other than the issuing county. As I said before, there are no such laws. A CA CCW permit is good in ALL of California.

Also, I got home and there sitting on my desk was a letter from Utah. Yep, got my Utah CCW permit today. Florida should be on its way, and my CA permit is right around the corner. Now I just gotta figure out what holsters I want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast