Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corax's cross country thread

Corax's cross country thread

Well, I'm getting ready to move out of So Cal. I gave notice at work weeks ago, and though they've been trying to make room for me in the eastern region, all I've been getting are vague responses (with the economy doing what it's doing, they froze employee headcount, someone has to leave before I can transfer). So unless I hear some good news, we'll be pulling out sometime this week and I'll have to get rehired later (which I've been told is difficult - so much for my corporate job)

So far, this is our route out

with stops at Pismo (before the big event), Big Sur, Santa Cruz and Eureka

If I can actually get someone at corporate to give me a definate answer on Monday morning I may stay till the beginning of December and move the RV up to Big Bear. The problem with moving back in December, though, is that we'll be taking the northern route in the middle of winter - not something that thrills me: me driving the RV pulling the wifes RWD car and the wife in the 4runner pulling a heavy 5x8 enclosed trailer, possibly over slick roads. Don't get me wrong, I love driving on snowy roads, just not with everything I own packed in.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: Corax's cross country thread

Thats a big move man, good luck ! I would not do the North thing in December. Anything you need while cruising through Santa Cruz, let me know. Looking forward to meeting you, did you get my PM ? Gimme a rough time frame so I can make time.

Had to take the company car back, so I used it to tow my 'runner on a car dolly back to corporate. Every once in a while I'd freak my self out by taking a quick look over my shoulder for a lane change and glimpsing what looked like a huge truck behind me ready to sling-shot past . . .

4runnerchev - got the PM, just waiting to see if anyone at corp will talk to me on Monday. If we leave this week, It'll likely be on Tuesday or Wednesday - one day to Pismo, one day maybe two at Pismo, a day or two at Big Sur running around - likely hitting Santa Cruz somewhere early next week. The great thing about this trip is that I have no schedule to keep and tons of credit to dig myself a proper hole . . .

super sad to see you leave keith, just remember you have friends in socal!

youll have to keep us posted with lots of pictures and some good stories. good luck!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Looking forward to your visit through, give us a holler, and I'll meet up with you all before you leave the city.
    *Evening deal though, work schedule's a bit off, but you could swing by there also should you choose.
    Your dibs on the M.O.A.B. are still good.
    Definately, When I get a better idea of where I'll be and when, I'll let you know. PM sent on the MOAB.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    super sad to see you leave keith, just remember you have friends in socal!

youll have to keep us posted with lots of pictures and some good stories. good luck!
    Yeah, I'm kinda melancholy about leaving So Cal, I've met some really nice peeps and had some great times. Geographically So Cal is awesome, but the cost of living is too high and real estate prices are just goofy.

As long as I can find some free WiFi, I'll post up the pics and stories. On a related side note, I've got my eye out for a cheap (free) satelite dish so I can build a Bi Quad WiFi antenna (http://www.binarywolf.com/249/parabolic.htm http://martybugs.net/wireless/biquad), I've heard of some people being able to bounce a WiFi signal from a few miles away . . .

Didn't hear anything good from corporate today, so we'll be on the road Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest . . .

Hope your trip goes well. Take lots of pics of your travels through SE Oregon. It's a beautiful and empty place. Keep an eye on the lakes for ducks and geese and the hillsides for Sheep (the wild kind) and the road for deer and antelope

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

What, no pass through Denver j/k hope it goes well for ya have fun, be safe.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870
    Keep an eye on the lakes for ducks and geese and the hillsides for Sheep (the wild kind) and the road for deer and antelope
    Oh yeah, my biggest white knuckle is reserved for big animals in the road - 25,000lb GVWR + 3,500lb car on the rear bumper does not equal massive stopping power

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    What, no pass through Denver j/k hope it goes well for ya have fun, be safe.
    we thought about it, but the 4runner starts to get aweful warm pulling the trailer (3,500lbs) up long grades . . . actually the original route was through Vegas to Salt Lake City then across to Denver, but the wife really had no interest in Vegas or SLC, so I let her pick the route.

Ha, I even worked it so that I get to keep my company cell phone, laptop, 10MP camera, and Verizon wireless card for an extra 2 weeks at least

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast